Time for a new carb

14 replies to this topic
  • cheff

Posted October 10, 2005 - 03:53 PM

Well my L has 10k on it, I have loved every mile of it, but I need some more power.

I know the L is not the power producer to start with, but I believe a pumper carb of some kind will wake it up a bit. I rode this weekend on my buddies new 450x and I could not believe how responsive his throttle was.

So here is the question,

Keihin FCR $525... or
Mikuni flatslide $229

What do you guys think?

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 10, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Well my L has 10k on it, I have loved every mile of it, but I need some more power.

I know the L is not the power producer to start with, but I believe a pumper carb of some kind will wake it up a bit. I rode this weekend on my buddies new 450x and I could not believe how responsive his throttle was.

So here is the question,

Keihin FCR $525... or
Mikuni flatslide $229

What do you guys think?

Something with radiators, higher compression & less weight perhaps? :banghead: Anyway, both are good but have their differences. I know Mikuni's been making good carbs for these motors since the early 80's.

Someday I'm going for the 10.5:1 rebuild & Mikuni carb set up. Just not right now since the beast is running well in its current form. :banghead:

• malevolent73

Posted October 10, 2005 - 09:55 PM

I had the Keihin FCR from sudco... and I was terribly un-happy with it!!! for some reason it never fit right. the float bowl was touching the cam chain tensioner, and starting wearing the carb. Also, there were absolutely ZERO mounting instructions w/ it in the kit :lol: ... which WAS for my bike (XR650R)...
And ZERO adjustment on the pump, so if you had to open the throttle the least little bit, it was pissing fuel into the cylinder. It was also BI#*h OF A MOTHER TO START, if you ever laid it down :lol: . I got rid of it... got an Edelbrock! They ROCK! Pump is adjustable, they say there is a pump bypass valve, so if you are slowly rolling on the throttle, its not pumping! The fuel returns to the float bowl... And the fit...OH THE FIT!!! IT WAS NEAR ORGASMIC!!!! PERFECT!!! :busted: :crazy: :crazy: I sold the FCR to my buddy, he has a KLX650R, it fit his bike better that mine the throttle even snapped back... it used to be sluggish on my bike :lol: ! I gave it the ultimate test... I started it and laid it on its side...it kept running :busted: :busted: it would never do that on my XR :banghead: !
But the Edelbrock WILL :lol: ... and if you dump w/ the edelbrock, 1-2 kicks MAX, and it is fired up ready to rip some more :lol: ...
Edelbrocks are a few more coins, but I am very happy with it... and the only reason I didn't buy one the first time I wanted a new carb, was cause I listened to my bonehead friend, who said they were no good! :busted: :busted: DUMB A$$ :banghead:
Just some food for thought for you to knaw on... hope this helps :lol:

• irondude

Posted October 11, 2005 - 08:00 AM

mikuni or keihin? NEITHER.

I have the Keihin FCR42 on another bike--its performance is great but very fickle to changes in weather, altitude, etc. Its great for MX once you dial it in and if you never leave the same track...

otherwise i would vote for the Edelbrock! I own 3--and just bought one for a 650L. The edelbrock is such a superior product that for dual sport one sholdnt look anywhere else. Its BY FAR the best way to go.

Anyone who steers you toward a Mikuni or Keihin pumper just doesnt understand the design of the Edelbrock.

• malevolent73

Posted October 11, 2005 - 08:31 AM

Here! Here! Edelbrock!!!

• cheff

Posted October 11, 2005 - 08:42 AM

LOL well it looks like Edelbrock then!!!! Now where can I order one? When looking for a carb, all I found was the 2 mentioned above. I have always heard good things about the Edelbrock, but I also heard they where not making it for the L anymore.

Thanks for the replies

• mgs781

Posted October 11, 2005 - 09:04 AM

ebay!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted October 11, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Good lord....

If you take the time to learn your FCR it'll run rings around that Edlebrock...

You XR guys are a different sort...thats a fact...

• Rover31

Posted October 11, 2005 - 07:36 PM

Good lord....

If you take the time to learn your FCR it'll run rings around that Edlebrock...

You XR guys are a different sort...thats a fact...

Here, Here I must agree!!!
I love my FCR
Travis

• malevolent73

Posted October 11, 2005 - 08:57 PM

I hate to tell you this, but the FCR for an XR650R is not the same carb that comes on a CRF450... it is junk! The stock Honda FCR on a 450 is not, and I have heard good things about them.

• malevolent73

Posted October 11, 2005 - 08:59 PM

There is an Edelbrock for a 650r on e-Bay right now!!! only 1 bid check it out :banghead:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 12, 2005 - 07:47 AM

I hate to tell you this, but the FCR for an XR650R is not the same carb that comes on a CRF450... it is junk! The stock Honda FCR on a 450 is not, and I have heard good things about them.

How is it different?

• malevolent73

Posted October 14, 2005 - 08:51 PM

I bought it from carb parts wearhouse... the kit is supplied by SUDCO. Anyway, it is a generic fit carb! its a 41mm, not a 40mm! it also has 3 pieces to it... the front spigot threads into the carb, it was a billet machined piece, and TOO SHORT :banghead: so the float bowl was touching the cam chain tensioner. the rear spigot that goes into your airbox was also a separate billet aluminum piece, that was bolted to the carb! Now I'm not sure, but I think an FCR 40mm made specifically for a particular bike , like a CRF 450 is a one piece design... correct me if I'm wrong :banghead: But any way the carb was to short to be fully inserted into either boot, I had to put it in the middle to mount it, I think that if the front spigot was longer by about 1cm, it would have been a better fit. Also had no mount for the slide adjuster(idle) so it just flopped around...and I hate that :lol: However, it was tuned correctly, and the performance was there... but you can't tell me that you can start your bike and lay it down on it's side it will stay running, and not stall and flood horribly :lol: Can you? because whenever I dumped it, you can bet I was kicking for a good 15-20 minutes.... and thats no lie!!! :lol: An Edelbrock doesn't flood at all from what I have seen... and it will run on it's side ALL DAY LONG!

• Winkel

Posted October 15, 2005 - 08:06 PM

I thought the 650 L had a pumper carb on it. A guy at work has an L, and the carb has a "ramp" and lever on the side of it. I assumed it was an accelerator pump? Similar principal to that of the old Holley four barrells of the past.

Winkel :banghead:

• JammerJ

Posted October 16, 2005 - 12:40 AM

I used to have an L model and found the best mods where from the white brothers in california, they do their own R&D. First off loose all the weight, this be the air injection and the emisions bullshit, swap out the tail light and the steel tank for an IMS unit. You should be able to drop almost 15 pounds. Get the dynojet kit for the carb, retrofit an FMF reverse megaphone exhaust from a XR 650, I know it'll fit because I did it. Drop a tooth on the countershaft and get a white brothers power up kit. This consist of a higher compression piston and a broader cam. You'll run circles around most anything else. 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies at the flick on a wrist. Key parts for the work came from thumper racing, baja designs, and white brothers racing. It will cost abit, so have some left over for the suspension cause this is where it really lacks, and after the mods the suspension will not keep up. Good luck and have fun. I had a guy from Michigan come out to buy it, he had looked at 3 others nation wide and settled on mine after riding it, he said it was unlike any other one he had rode, had a grin ear to earwhen he came back from the test ride...funny thing is I live in pennsylvania so I kind of believed him.
This time I opted for a Husky TE410, its more aggressive for offroad riding, and figure I would get the bajadesign road legal kit. It'll be cheaper than getting a road legal bike and doing all the stuff I just told you in the long run.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.