Will a 3/8 torque wrench fit to tighten my cam caps?

8 replies to this topic
  • Pincushion

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:42 PM

I went to four stores looking for a 1/4 torque wrench and nada'!!!! Will a 3/8 fit? Beam or clicker type?

Why no 1/4", what gives?

• Wyatt

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:44 PM

3/8" generaly go down to the required settings. You need a 1/4". Try a tool salesman (snap on, etc.) or have an autoparts store order one for you. You'll never find this at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ect.

• CRFThumper

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:49 PM

my snap on 3/8ths drive goes down to50 inch pounds!Granted it cost enough that it should do that and more!!! :banghead:

• Pincushion

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:58 PM

the Craftsman 3/8 clicker goes between 25in/lbs and 250in/lbs, which will work for my application. I just dont know if it will fit. Also not sure if I can get an 8mm socket of the 3/8 variety.

This is a pain!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Blue_One

Posted October 10, 2005 - 02:29 PM

I bought a snapon torque wrench like this one EBAY LINK It works good and there is plenty and clearance. I ended up buying mine for $85 and it was brand new :banghead:

• FZ1426

Posted October 10, 2005 - 06:43 PM

It doesn't matter if it's 3/8 or 1/4 as long as the torque value is correct.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:05 PM

First, you definitely can get an 8mm socket for 3/8 drive. If it's too hard to find, get a 5/16" instead. (.003" difference) But the rear center cam cap bolt will be tough to get at. An alternative is to use an offset adapter, either expressly for the size, or one with a square drive on the end. It would look like a very short box end wrench with a 3/8" square socket at one end.

Here's one

I say keep looking for a beam type, but there are options.

• ripntear

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:15 PM

My 3/8" AutoZone Greatneck special would probably have worked if I would have had 3/8" metric sockets. Instead, I had 1/4" sockets which meant I had to use a 3/8 to 1/4" adapter then the socket. That combo made it to high and would not fit in the clearance I had to work with. Soooo, I bought a 1/4" Snap-On Torque wrench that I paid over $100 for instead of buying the one 3/8" metric socket that would have cost me all of $3.00.

If I had to justify everything I bought, I would not have 3/4 the crap I own.

• Birdie426

Posted October 10, 2005 - 08:01 PM

My Craftsman 3/8 drive would not fit. I have a 20 year old Craftsman 1/4 drive that did the trick, but they are no longer available from Sears, and mine finally broke. Harbor Freight sells one, but they are cheap. I use a spring scale to verify towque setting every time I use it...

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.