Newbie lowering question

4 replies to this topic
  • calif-yz400f

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Being a newbie owner of a 99' YZ400F I need some help in reducing the preload on the rear shock to lower the bike a bit. I'm 5'7" and the bike is too tall for me.

I do mostly trail riding no MX very little jumping so not as worried about travel.

My question is how do I get a spanner wrench in to loosen the top spring nut. The lock nut was easy . . . one quick tap. Do I have to take the air box assembly out to access the spring or what. I have the bike raised so there is no pressure on the spring but short of using a long screw driver and hammer to back the nut off, I'm looking for suggestion.

Thanks in advance . . . This forum has been very helpful in the past.

• Dano426

Posted October 10, 2005 - 08:30 AM

Do a search, there a few post with the subject.

Here is one link

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revolucien

Posted October 10, 2005 - 08:52 AM

Here is a lowering link for YZ's, it says it's not intended for competition but it might be right for you. Click here

• calif-yz400f

Posted October 10, 2005 - 09:52 AM

Thanks guys . . . I did call Mountain Motor Sports (the link given) but they told me it would not work on a 99'. Only 2002 and newer.

I think my next move is to take it into a suspension place and have them do it right.

Thanks . . .

• shanedut

Posted November 27, 2005 - 06:05 PM

I dont use a spanner wrench on mine i just used a long screw driver and a hammer. If you have to hit it hard to move it then somethings wrong. You might also want to spray some wd-40 on it before trying to move it. If you plan on keeping the bike for awhile i would suggest having the suspension set up for you though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.