Update on '04 Fork Conversion

5 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2005 - 06:59 PM

I got out with the "new" forks today in the giant DG whoops at McCain Valley, and there is a very big difference between the '04 and the '03. They felt much plusher, much less harsh, and never came close to bottoming in spite of that. The damping seems much more sophisticated, and seemed to improve cornering traction at the front. Not Showas yet, but very impressive. :banghead:

• ripntear

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:43 AM

Great!

Sounds like the $$$ and time invested were worth it.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:21 AM

Great!

Sounds like the $$$ and time invested were worth it.

It was, actually. As far as time, there really wasn't any spent. I put new seals in them as an excuse to look inside, and even with changing the stem, the whole thing was easier than falling out of a chair. They just bolted up in place of the old ones.

I did spend too much for the forks, but the kid got a good deal, and now that I've ridden it, I would pay $400 more for an '04 than an '03 just to get the forks. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chrdog

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:26 AM

woudlnt it be cheaper to just revalve the 03 forks?

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:47 AM

My '03's were revalved, but so were the '04's. Frankly, they aren't in the same league. No matter what you do to them, the '03's will still be a bumper fork. The '04 has a hydraulic progressive anti-bottoming system. It's just a whole lot more sophisticated.

• mx_crash

Posted October 11, 2005 - 04:01 AM

hmmm interesting. I had problems with my 04 forks bottoming which I couldn't tune out without them becoming harsh. A revalve, new cylinder valves and a coating of forslyk (or whatever it's called) and they are unreal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.