Swingarm Greasefest

6 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted October 09, 2005 - 06:31 PM

I've got some time to kill while my back heals, so I was gonna pull the swingarm and shock linkage off to inspect and grease the various parts. It looks pretty straight forward in the manual, but I was curious to see if there were any tricks to it that might be handy to know. I've seen the write-up on pulling the needle bearings out of the "string cheese" but I doubt I'll need to go that far. Those of you in the know, clue me in my brothuhs :banghead: ...SC

• Brettv

Posted October 09, 2005 - 06:36 PM

i recommend stripping it down completely, and removing all the moly lube from the factory and repacking it with heaps of grease. threre was a good write up on this process a while back with pictures.
it dosnt take too long to do, but there are a lot of little parts, so take your time
cheers - Brett

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted October 09, 2005 - 06:40 PM

i recommend stripping it down completely, and removing all the moly lube from the factory and repacking it with heaps of grease. threre was a good write up on this process a while back with pictures.
it dosnt take too long to do, but there are a lot of little parts, so take your time
cheers - Brett

Yep, 2 to 3 hours, and she's done. Everyone needs to get that "permenantly lubed" string cheese out of all of the swingarm linkage and replace it with a quality waterproof grease.

Dirty

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted October 09, 2005 - 07:05 PM

Well, I've read up on the MPL and the science behind the stuff seems very sound. The only hitch would seem to be the original amount of oil when the bearing was molded. I figure that if none of the bearings are burnt from excess friction then I can just clean them and repack them with some Bel-Ray waterproof grease and all will be good. My only question now is what to clean the MPL with as no solvent, cleaners or acids are recommended. Hmmm :banghead: ...SC

• jerryls

Posted October 09, 2005 - 07:37 PM

I left the string cheese in mine. Even though I know I shouldn't, I use gas to clean the old grease out of the bearings. Let 'em dry, slather in waterproof grease and reinstall. I've done this four times to date (the bike is an '04), and haven't noticed any problems.

Jerry

• clark4131

Posted October 09, 2005 - 07:56 PM

I'm thinking Permatex electrical contact cleaner might just do the trick. It's supposed to be completely noncorrosive and super fast drying, and since I've already got a can of it in my garage I'm in business...SC

• Brettv

Posted October 10, 2005 - 02:29 AM

yeah, the moly is good, packing grease in as well is better i guess. if u want to leave it there, but i mean if u really want to get EVERYTHING spotless, u will have to take the cheese out, then u could use petrol, kero, brake cleaner or anything, if u know what i mean.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.