Front wheel speedometer unit broke, what now?

7 replies to this topic
  • 94XR650LaJolla

Posted October 09, 2005 - 01:28 PM

My speedometer stopped working today after filling up at a gas station. I noticed a clicking noise coming from the front wheel. There is a screw that holds the speedo cable's rubber boot to the front wheels housing, the plastic around that screw is cracked. I think because of the crack, the screw isn't holding the cable in snug enough and instead of turning the cable, the tab in the housing is moving and clicking the cable's tab where they're supposed to engage.

I know the cable is working cause I unplugged it from the speedometer/instrument cluster and it moves when i manually turn from the other end. It's possible the instrument cluster is broken, but I doubt it seeing as there is a clicking noise and a crack in that piece of plastic.

So...ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THAT PART? The one that is part of the front wheel and connects to the speedo cable? Now I don't know when I should fill up.

Thanks.

• don87xr600

Posted October 09, 2005 - 01:32 PM

try ebay

• justicedone

Posted October 09, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Stockers motorcycle salvage in SD may have used one, or dealer for new.
Gas...

hit reserve, fill up ! :banghead:

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 09, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Bikebandit.com. They've got all the OEM stuff, good schematics & quick shipping. Heck, I got an o-ring set for my WRF petcock in about 3 days. I don't think even any dealer could match that timeframe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted October 09, 2005 - 08:40 PM

That part is $67.93, if you buy me a $20 speedodrive eliminator you can have mine. I run the 17mm axle so it should fit your bike.

• jickimojo

Posted October 11, 2005 - 02:26 PM

finger in the wind do you actually use that thing?

j/k

• 4Takt

Posted October 12, 2005 - 07:18 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• don87xr600

Posted October 12, 2005 - 05:46 PM

94XR650LaJolla's speedometer works now and I have the speedo eliminator. :banghead:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.