New Engine Breakin

7 replies to this topic
  • hacim2483

Posted October 08, 2005 - 09:36 PM

I have a 2002 YZ 426. I just did a full engine rebuild. New top and bottom end, new crank, new water pump, new clutch. What would be the best way to break it in. I have heard you can break it in hard or soft. What would the details look like for the break in?

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2005 - 09:54 PM

Warm it up well. Shut it down, check the oil level, and look for any problems. Ride it no harder than 50-60% for the first 10 minutes or so, but don't baby it. Run it at up to 75-80% for the next hour, and then almost as you normally would after that, avoiding only lugging it or over revving. Also, acceleration/deceleration is better for it than extended periods at speed. After 3 hours change the oil, clean or replace the filter, and you're done.

The key is to avoid being too easy on it without thrashing it either.

• bg10459

Posted October 09, 2005 - 05:59 AM

Maybe this is what Grayracer meant, but you should let the bike cool completely between runs (at least 15 minutes). i.e. warm it up, let it cool completely. Run it for 10 minutes, let it cool completely, etc. Definitely avoid lugging, over revving and steady rpm. When you're accelerating, it pushes oil away from the rings, and when you're decelerating, it pulls the oil back up to the rings.

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 09, 2005 - 06:56 AM

Read the section in the manual about break-in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted October 09, 2005 - 03:31 PM

I like Grayracers advice and thats what I do for break in also. I didnt break it in easy, but I didnt wring the snot out of it either.
My motor took about 5-6 hrs before the motor starts 'loosening' up and making decent power. You'll probably have to adjust your idle high at first and lower it as the motor loosens up.
Have fun!

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2005 - 08:00 PM

Maybe this is what Grayracer meant, ... Run it for 10 minutes, let it cool completely, etc.

No, it's not. Running the engine for ten minutes will not allow it to completely reach full, stable, normal operating temperature throughout the assembly, which it needs to do to break in properly. The first actual ride should be at least 20-30 minutes long. Certainly, if there is a problem, stop to correct it, but otherwise, let it run.

• hacim2483

Posted October 10, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I figured that the fist actual ride should be longer than 10 min. I have broken a bike in before but it was a two stroke. Is there any difference?

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Not really. Breaking in a engine is an odd situation. The rotating assemblies would as soon be spun for 10 hours with no load or thrust applied, but the rings won't seat right if you don't lean on it a little, so you have to compromise a little. Just avoid the extremes and you'll be fine. Remember that it's a high performance engine designed to be run hard. As long as you don't brutalize it during break in, it's all good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.