Cant start yzf 400

3 replies to this topic
  • ridesblue

Posted October 08, 2005 - 03:27 PM

i am suddenly having a hard time starting my 99yzf400. real hard to start with choke in or out when it does finally start and i put the choke in it stalls.
i put in the hot cams with the decomp mod about6 months ago but the problem just started now. checked the valves and timing all ok. current jetting is 185 main 45 pilot the rest stock on carb. only other mod is an fmf full exhaust.
any ideas? id like to get at least one more year out of this bike

• Fastest1

Posted October 08, 2005 - 05:16 PM

Running the same fuel as usual? Has it gotten colder in your area lately? I am not sure about the 400, but the 185 sounds rich to me but that would help with starting and kill the motor once it warmed up if the choke was left on. Is your carb spotless? It could be a clogged pilot jet. I doubt your bike is on its last leg just yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ridesblue

Posted October 10, 2005 - 05:16 AM

well, i looked thru the carb real good and gave it a good cleaning backed the main down to a 180 and still no luck and then thru trial and error i noticed someone had turned down my idle screw to about zero. after some pretty heavy interrogation i got a confession from a friend of my 6 year old son.
thanks for your help.

• 93gt

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:12 AM

Did you whoop him? :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.