'03 450F lower end needs help

6 replies to this topic
  • DBH

Posted October 08, 2005 - 12:14 PM

I'm told by my friendly local Yamaha dealer that I need lower end bearings and possibly a crank for my '03 450F. After a $250 inspection fee, they said it would be nearly $2500 to fix the lower end. Is this a normal fee, or is this ridiculous? Does anyone know of a mechanic other than OEM who could fix this for less? I live in the Sacramento area.

• cheekz

Posted October 08, 2005 - 02:06 PM

it cost me £390 for a new crank bearing and labour so i think he is ripping u off big time it would be easer 2 buy a new bike lol :banghead:

• 642MX

Posted October 08, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Seems high to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted October 08, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Thats robbery. Crank is about $300 and bearings will be a few hundred, so they're quoting you for about $1700 labor. Walk away....

Whats wrong with the bike? Why did you take it in?

• matt116

Posted October 08, 2005 - 06:37 PM

That's way to high
250 for an inspection ouch!
I would invest in some tools and do it yourself before you know it you'll be helping other people change there cranks.

• yzf450jack

Posted October 08, 2005 - 07:34 PM

even if the cases were trashed it would not be that much I would say $600.00 for the 4 speed $300.00 for cases $ 250.00 to the mechanic and thats ALL :banghead: :banghead: :lol: :lol: :lol: :busted: :busted:

• DBH

Posted October 08, 2005 - 08:02 PM

A new top end was put in it, and I raced three days at Washougal during the amateur days before the National (and it ran perfect.) Got back home and rode it, and it died on the track. I got it re-started and rode back to the pits. I went out again and rode a few laps, then it died again, like it was starving for fuel. It wouldn't re-start. The piston would go through its stroke, but had a funny exhaust note, and wouldn't start. It backfired a few times as well.

I dropped it off at a Yamaha shop, which quoted me three hours for a leak down inspection, compression check, and something else. Then they call and say they got it started, but it had a loud knock in the lower end. I asked roughly how much to replace any damaged parts. They said bearings and crank probably need replacing, and said approximately $2500. I told them I'd be picking the bike up right away. I may not be a motor expert, but I'm not stupid either.

Maybe they're talking about replacing it with a new factory motor for that price? haha

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.