Big Gun

9 replies to this topic
  • PARTZ

Posted October 07, 2005 - 10:34 AM

I'm looking for peoples opinion of Big Gun Exhaust.
In a nutshell, what's the consensus?

• goblin127

Posted October 07, 2005 - 11:56 AM

Do a search. I have heard they leak.

• J_T

Posted October 07, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Mine has been on since Dec 2000 and does not leak. I have taken it off and put stock back on (b/c it came on my used bike) and I could tell a huge difference in upper end. but loss in lower end with stock carb. With the edelbrock QS I like the Big Gun over stock and didn't notice a low end power loss. Mine uses allan screws to hold the can on and spark arrestor plate in and is very solid but I have heard some say they had pop-rivits and they came loose and some have said the rivits leaked even when secure. So ask some questions about their construction now if you plan to buy one. I questioned Big Gun on leaking when I heard about it and was about to repack it and they claimed that they did switch designs and they weren't happy with it and have changed again so maybe if they weren't pulling my leg the design they were referring to was the unfavored one. Mine is used for tight trails and woods riding. How it performs over other aftermarket pipes I don't know... its all I have run except trying the stock again.

• J_T

Posted October 07, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Some have complained of ease of installation. But I have taken mine off and one 3 times. 1st to compare with stock, 2nd to compare with stock with edelbrock, and 3rd just receintly when cleaning my bike up real good. (possible sale) every time (even considering the tight space with the head bolts which are short strokes with a wrench) the pipe can be installed in 15 min once the old pipe is off.

• knuklehead

Posted October 07, 2005 - 04:58 PM

Had one on my bike, way loud,all rivets came loose, still have it, had a welder weld the egged out holes, back on the can,just needs reriveted,and put back together, sell it dirt cheap :banghead: :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chooch

Posted October 07, 2005 - 05:13 PM

I think some of the older units had issues from what I can tell. The new units seem to be very well made.

I have had one for eight months or so now (pipe and header) I'm happy with it....much, much better than stock. However, the stock header is actually a decent unit on the XR(L) and the Dyno showed only a marginal HP gain by going with BG header...looks cool though!
There are proly just as good of pipes out there for less money though...Pro Circuit TC series comes to mind.

• brian jacquemin

Posted October 07, 2005 - 06:11 PM

I would go with a Barnum's exhaust system. They are pretty trick with a header that wraps around both sides of the cylinder head. I have done some research and I think that is the best bet. The header is protected by not wraping aroung front of frame. Call Rob or check out his website and you'll be stoked.
BARNUMSPRO.COM (760)868-8097

• maddmickey

Posted October 07, 2005 - 07:00 PM

I had one for two weeks, and sold it on ebay for half price. It did have more top end, I mean way up about where you shift. But it lost alot of bottom end and midrange. It wouldent wheelie near as easy, and wasnt as fun to ride. I have been impressed with stock muffler with HRC tip, and also white bros e- series. :banghead:

• Max Power

Posted October 07, 2005 - 07:16 PM

If money is no object...

Posted Image

• 4Takt

Posted October 08, 2005 - 02:49 AM

I would go with a Barnum's exhaust system. They are pretty trick with a header that wraps around both sides of the cylinder head. I have done some research and I think that is the best bet. The header is protected by not wraping aroung front of frame. Call Rob or check out his website and you'll be stoked.
BARNUMSPRO.COM (760)868-8097

I can't find that exhaust on their site. Do you have a direct link?

4Takt

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.