Is the auto decompress upgrade on a 426 a bad thing??

4 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted October 07, 2005 - 07:51 AM

I was reading the "thumper FAQ" and found this statement:

The 2002 and 2003 YZ250F and WR250F exhaust cams are identical except for the decompression device. So for about $160, the 2001-2002 250Fs can start just as easily as a 2003 model. This isn't true for the old 426F. The 450F cam gear has a different tooth pitch, even though the tooth count is the same. The new cam will work for a while, but the chain and gear will have accelerated wear. :banghead:
Does anyone know is this had held true? I would hate to have to reinstall my old cam and decompress lever :banghead:

• ddialogue

Posted October 07, 2005 - 01:40 PM

Some of the first guys to do this mod were worried about the supposed accelerated wear but after several thousand miles, nothing showed up and turned out to be as reliable as ever. To this day, I haven't read of a single issue with the upgrades. If I had a 426, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Hot Cams makes one that has the correct pitch and is less than $200 (I think.) We just installed the Hot Cams version in my buddys' 01 426...works great! :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slipnslide

Posted October 07, 2005 - 02:58 PM

You can get the hotcam one on ebay now (brand new according to the seller) for around $149 plus $8.50 shipping.
You can read about it at www.hotcamsinc.com. part # 4035-1E. I am seriously considering getting one for my WR400

• simon@vic

Posted October 07, 2005 - 03:20 PM

get a 2003+ yz cam {or the hotcam}.

• byggd

Posted October 07, 2005 - 05:02 PM

get a 2003+ yz cam {or the hotcam}.

I installed a 03 YZ 450 ex cam so hopefully I'm good to go :banghead:
Thanks for the input all! :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.