engine blew up

8 replies to this topic
  • jevc

Posted October 07, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Yesterday it happend. I blew a hole in the cranck case. inside looks like a mess. any body know where I can get an engine for a 2002 wr 426? The rest of the bike is in good shape with a ton of mods. I got too much into it to just part it out and it has a Ca street tag. Any Ideas. there is shrapnel laying all over the road to my house.

• BMRSNR

Posted October 07, 2005 - 10:24 AM

That sucks man. I can't help help you but let us know what you find and where.

• old man dan

Posted October 07, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Get a hold of this guy and see what you can work out.

Real Differences tween 2001 YZ and WR ?

I have a 2001 WR426F that has been in supermoto trim since the day I bought it new in late 2000, it has been a wonderful machine.
3 years ago I did a 444 big bore kit to it, had the head cleaned up and ported slightly and it was a definite improvement.
Like all of the after market pistons this Weisco started to rattle around in the bore after a few thousand miles, and I am sure the rod is a little long in the tooth.
Long story short, I was debating rebuilding this WR motor from the ground up when I came across a brand new YZ426 motor in a crate complete with carb, so I bought it, but now I am having second thoughts.

My question(s),
How much different is the YZ gearing than the WR (same year engine)?
Were there any other differences in the 2 engines besides cam timing and throttle stop?

I will need to keep the lighting coil because my bike is street legal so I have lights and signals, do I just swap the lighting coil from the WR motor over to the YZ motor? is there anything else I need to do electrically to do that right?

Also I read allot about counter balancer woodruff keys back in the day, I can say however that my WR motor never had an issue with that, so is there a hardened (harder than stock) woodruff key that I should consider replacing before I put the motor in the bike?

I guess my main fear is that with the YZ gearing I may not like it as much on the street, so I need some input on that from those of you with experience.
I have not committed to anything yet other than the fact that I have a brand new YZ engine in a crate with Japanese writing all over it sitting in my garage, I will not be putting the big bore kit on either of these 2 engines this time around as I really don't think the reliability is there with after market pistons and the extra bottom end that I got out of it was really not worth the piston slap noises I had to put up with after about 6 months of weekend riding.

So the bottom line is this, if you had the choices I have now of (1) installing a brand new engine including swapping the ported head from the old engine, swapping the lighting coil from the old engine and calling it a day or (2) rebuilding the old engine which I am sure will require all new lower end bearings, a few gears, shift forks, clutch basket and clutch, crank work most likely (Falicon), with a knife edge rod etc.

I am certain I can sell this crated engine to a kart guy on ebay and not lose a dime, I paid $1400.00 for it.

I guess the other thing I could do is sell the old engine on ebay for close to a grand and end up paying $400.00 for a brand new engine which would not be all that bad.

Thoughts? suggestions?
Thanks.

http://www.teamscream.tv

• Gadsen

Posted October 07, 2005 - 11:07 AM

4 strokes are spendy when they "pop", but real spendy when they "ventilate"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted October 08, 2005 - 06:04 AM

This will fit right in
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• biggiesyup42

Posted October 08, 2005 - 10:29 AM

Can you make a engine from a 2005 Yamaha YZ450F work?

• jevc

Posted October 10, 2005 - 10:27 AM

Does anyone know if a 450 engine will fit in the 426. I would like to stay with a wr engine as all my riding is wide open desert and I need the fifth gear. I am going to start tearing it down today to see how bad things are but I am not thinking it is going to be pretty.

• RottenRich

Posted October 11, 2005 - 12:29 AM

Does anyone know if a 450 engine will fit in the 426. I would like to stay with a wr engine as all my riding is wide open desert and I need the fifth gear. I am going to start tearing it down today to see how bad things are but I am not thinking it is going to be pretty.

l've just fitted a 450 engine into my wr400, there's a few mods you have to do but not to much. l'll post em up when l get time if you want to know.

• goodluckmonkey

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:54 AM

TeamScream on here has got a crated YZ426 motor that he's not using apparently. :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.