Gas Tax for off-road use?

3 replies to this topic
  • yamarider426

Posted October 06, 2005 - 04:22 PM

I saw something about a year ago on, I believe TLC and they were talking about how much gas is used for off-road purposes only. It was in the millions of $'s. The government pocketed lots of dough off of federal road tax. That gas tax is a road tax for maintenance and such. I remember hearing that somewhere in the mid-west people lobbied and somehow got the federal government to take money and I guess, re-pay by designating alot of land to ride and maintaining it for off-roaders? I was wondering if anyone else heard this and had any additional info? Paying tax on fuel that is not used on the road sux. Here in SC you can by non-taxed diesel for farm equiptment but not gas. I know there are bigger things to B* :banghead: *ch about but $ is $ :banghead:

• Butta

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:54 PM

you are able to write off the amount you spend on gas-tax (the tax portion only) for gasoline that is used for off road use every year on your federal income tax return. You have to go through a lot of off road gas to make it worthwhile as it's not a tax credit but a tax deduction.

Boaters have a better shot at gaining something back than a small 450cc four stroke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamarider426

Posted October 06, 2005 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, I'm sure, I'm not worried about getting any money back but I sure would love to be able to ride on some decient trails on land designated for us.

• revolucien

Posted October 06, 2005 - 07:10 PM

That's it, The Blue Ribbon Coalition is your fighting chance to keep trails and ATV areas open.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.