what is AIS all about????

15 replies to this topic
  • dirtysouth

Posted October 06, 2005 - 01:57 PM

Posted a thread about popping and got a reply to go to TT store and get AIS kit. Looked through the service manual and could not find any good info on it. Anyone fill me in?

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 06, 2005 - 03:16 PM

AIS is the plumbing from the exhaust back to the carb to meet Kaliforniastan CARB rules.
Just buy the TT store plugs and eliminate the plumbing. :banghead:

• byggd

Posted October 06, 2005 - 03:26 PM

Posted a thread about popping and got a reply to go to TT store and get AIS kit. Looked through the service manual and could not find any good info on it. Anyone fill me in?

AIS = Air Injection System

Might only be on CA bikes? :banghead:

• RichBaker

Posted October 06, 2005 - 04:00 PM

It put fresh air into the exhaust to dilute it and reduce emissions....basically an EPA-mandated kluge.

• dbailey223

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:10 PM

I think it is all 2005's, not just those in California, byggd

• Summit

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:39 PM

Really, the only thing you need to know aqbout the AIS is .....get rid of it!! Go see your dealer if you have a good one. Yamaha makes a removal kit and jet kit, it's in their race manual. It cost me $100 for both installed and it made a world of difference. Well worth it.

• sandman76513

Posted October 06, 2005 - 06:13 PM

AIS = Air Injection System

Might only be on CA bikes? :banghead:

It is on every 05-06 WR450, not just the models destined for CA. Might even be on the new WR250??

• Gadsen

Posted October 06, 2005 - 07:05 PM

AIS or air injection system is a system used to inject air into the exhaust to finish burning any unburnt fuel, thus, reducing hydrocarbons which is unburnt fuel. The air isn't pumped in, but the pulse or low pressure from the exhaust draws it in, this is called the "pulse air" type, otherwise an actual pump would be required. There is a reed valve to keep pressure negative and air only flowing into the exhaust, not the other way. This can make for some nasty backfire on decel, as decel dumps lots of unburnt fuel into the exhaust. The popping is this fuel igniting or burning. In automotive, a "diverter" vale is used to switch air from the exhaust and into the air cleaner on decel to prevent this popping, but I'm sure they didn't want to get too stupid on the WR, just enough garbage to make it Kally green I suspect. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted October 06, 2005 - 07:58 PM

It is on every 05-06 WR450, not just the models destined for CA. Might even be on the new WR250??

We don't get that crap on our bikes here in Australia. :banghead:

• jasilva

Posted October 06, 2005 - 09:30 PM

Thats all right then, cheap price to pay not to live in Oz. :banghead:

Joe

• tp3dxf

Posted October 06, 2005 - 09:33 PM

I bet you will in the next couple of years. Not that I am a fan of it. But Cal seems to set the bar.

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:30 PM

Can I physically see if my bike has this? (plumbing from exhaust to the carb)

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:30 PM

It's a 03 wr450. Sorry

• mousemeat

Posted November 30, 2005 - 01:56 AM

Are there performance losses or harmful effects associated with AIS? Or is it just a backfiring thing? Does it make it harder to jet?

If i were to get an '06 and didn't mind the backfiring, could i leave the AIS in without crippling the bike?

• rich1167

Posted November 30, 2005 - 06:06 AM

I think it makes it easier to jet and tune the carb due to the fact that all that crap is out of the way. I removed mine and don't regret it. But I have researched the performance issue and found the most popular opinion to be, their is no affect. I can't tell on mine. I have a terrible butt dyno.

• RichBaker

Posted November 30, 2005 - 03:17 PM

Are there performance losses or harmful effects associated with AIS? Or is it just a backfiring thing? Does it make it harder to jet?

If i were to get an '06 and didn't mind the backfiring, could i leave the AIS in without crippling the bike?

No effect on performance....it simply pumps fresh air into the exhaust...prob'ly not even that heavy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.