New bike = Check everything!

12 replies to this topic
  • tony1970

Posted October 06, 2005 - 10:17 AM

I bought my '05 WR450 in June and have enjoyed every minute of it. That is until I cracked a rib on it a week and a half ago. :banghead: So I figured this was a good time to install my JD kit, AIS kit, finish the free mods, and check the valve clearance. When I purchased the bike I tore the whole thing down and lube it from front to back. What I did not do was remove and inspect the air filter. I just opened the side panel and saw it had plenty of oil on it and it had grease on the sealing lip. When I removed it two days ago to clean it for the first time it had a f :censored:ing hole torn in it on the sealing lip. :lol: Luckily it had been greased well and the air boot was pretty clean. The dealer is getting me a new one under warranty. So when you get a new bike I guess you have to check every nook and cranny with these lame asses putting these things together. :banghead: Also check your upper engine bracket mount bolts, particularly the one that runs through the frame. I have not even rode in a wet area and these are starting to corrode.

• MotoGoalie

Posted October 06, 2005 - 10:25 AM

I bought my '05 WR450 in June . What I did not do was remove and inspect the air filter. I just opened the side panel and saw it had plenty of oil on it and it had grease on the sealing lip. When I removed it two days ago to clean it for the first time it had a f :censored:ing hole torn in it on the sealing lip. :banghead: :

Ummmmmm there is a difference of about 3, going on 4 months and this is the FIRST time you've had the airfilter out? :banghead:

How often do you ride?

If often, you ought to clean your filter more often for the health of your engine. Clean air and oil means a long happy life.

• tony1970

Posted October 06, 2005 - 11:50 AM

I posted this for people to have a heads up on what to check when they buy a new bike, i'm not new to this sport. I'm lucky if I get to ride once a month,and the filter was pretty clean when I pulled it. I guess I put too many details in this post. :banghead:

• MotoGoalie

Posted October 06, 2005 - 12:02 PM

I posted this for people to have a heads up on what to check when they buy a new bike, i'm not new to this sport. I'm lucky if I get to ride once a month,and the filter was pretty clean when I pulled it. I guess I put too many details in this post. :banghead:

I just asked the question.

That's a long time it would seem.

Meh :banghead:

• byggd

Posted October 06, 2005 - 12:15 PM

You have to remember, many parts of CA don't have a lot of riding areas so not as many opportunities to ride. I'm sure there are lots of other states where you can fire it up and take off from your back yard, sure wish we could :banghead:

• jams229

Posted October 06, 2005 - 12:23 PM

Dude, whatever you do, don't move East. (If you think CA has restricted riding areas...)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted October 06, 2005 - 12:35 PM

Dude, whatever you do, don't move East. (If you think CA has restricted riding areas...)

Are you kidding? Arizona and Nevada have TONS of riding areas! And they allow duel sport conversions so you can ride to the ride. In CA we can't even ride the power line roads unless the bike is plated :banghead:

• tony1970

Posted October 06, 2005 - 01:01 PM

No problem. I'm just pissed that I did not catch it right away.Your right I probably needed to clean the filter sooner. Live and learn. The air box on this thing is so restricted it's amazing any air can get into it at all. The filter looked OK so did not mess with it. I wish I could ride as much as I work. This is my first day off in 11 days and I'm laid up and can't ride. :banghead:

• MotoGoalie

Posted October 06, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Well, I can understand your frustration.

• dbailey223

Posted October 06, 2005 - 01:13 PM

Heck, I'd love to get to ride once a month. With the wife, small kids, long hours at work, etc., I'm lucky to get out once every 4 months. Now, that is :banghead: :banghead:

• tony1970

Posted October 06, 2005 - 01:49 PM

Heck, I'd love to get to ride once a month. With the wife, small kids, long hours at work, etc., I'm lucky to get out once every 4 months. Now, that is :banghead: :banghead:

Poor bastard. :lol:

• clark4131

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:20 PM

Sell the kids to science, it worked for me and with the extra money it brought in, I was able to buy some more goodies for the bike :lol:...SC

• byggd

Posted October 07, 2005 - 06:32 AM

Heck, I'd love to get to ride once a month. With the wife, small kids, long hours at work, etc., I'm lucky to get out once every 4 months. Now, that is :lol: :lol:

I feel your pain man :banghead: but cheer up......the kids will grow up and go riding with you :banghead: and they make a good excused to go riding......."but honey...the kids love riding" :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.