On/Off switch for the lights

9 replies to this topic
  • taksx

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:22 PM

Has anybody installed a on/off switch for the lights on their 05 WR450?
I feel really odd riding at noon with my lights on. Seems like I'm just burning
the bulb when its not needed.

Thinking about installing one, But finding a place for a switch is a bitch and what wire would one hook it up to?

Thanks in advance Eddie.

• Matty05

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:43 PM

Look at the older WR426's. They have a switch block like our's for the indicators that has
an on off switch for the lights.

At least in Australia, they do!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 05, 2005 - 04:07 PM

Unless you are on a closed course or a track, the headlight is an excellent safety feature for an off-road bike, especially during the day. Oncoming traffic (on and off-road) has a much better chance of seeing you with yoru headlight on than with it off. One or two seconds earlier warning you are coming could make the difference between life and death.

• Matty05

Posted October 05, 2005 - 04:11 PM

I wear a fluro yellow jacket when I ride on the road, bastards still cut in front of me
after they see me. A good swift kick in the drivers door scares the $hit out of them!

I don't ride my bike to work, I think that is just asking to die.

• Gadsen

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:16 PM

Has anybody installed a on/off switch for the lights on their 05 WR450?
I feel really odd riding at noon with my lights on. Seems like I'm just burning
the bulb when its not needed.

Thinking about installing one, But finding a place for a switch is a bitch and what wire would one hook it up to?

Thanks in advance Eddie.

Eddie, been there, done it. Look in "my garage" under the avatar, and click on my WR link, in one of the pictures, you will see what I did. I removed the stock kill switch, installed a K&S switch, which had a kill built into it, plus a "off, low and high" beam headlamp switch. And of course, I installed the low beam now. (all WR's run in high beam) so now I not only can turn my lights off, I can also run high or low beam and still have my kill button. Also, when I turn my headlamp off, I have it wired to turn my tail lamp off also. I did write down he wiring schematic in the back of my WR repair manual, if you need the specifics on the wiring, PM me. As for finding the switch, its available lots pf places, I did get mine from "Peak Moto"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • taksx

Posted October 05, 2005 - 07:35 PM

TMT

Your the man i want to talk to :lol:
OKay so here is my scenario. I want the light just to turn off.

I got a simple push button switch (like the KTM) and found room for it next to the Ignition power button. That takes care of that puzzle.

Now to the wires
The 05 has 3 wires going into the light connector/plug. Yellow, black, and blue.
The manual Say's the yellow is the ground, Is this wright :banghead:
That leaves me with a blue and black wire. Witch one would you tap
into for the switch?

You Have a sweet looking WR. If i fail to make this switch work I'm going to do what you did. Sure cleans thing up in the handlebars department :banghead:

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 06, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Taksx,
Why don't you just go to your dealer and order the switch (harness) for an 03-04 wr and be done with it?
Jim

• taksx

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:43 AM

Taksx,
Why don't you just go to your dealer and order the switch (harness) for an 03-04 wr and be done with it?
Jim

Why?
Because I didn't know that was an option:bonk:

• Gadsen

Posted October 06, 2005 - 09:23 AM

OK, the yellow wire is the power, if you want to use the earlier 03 and back switch, cut the yellow wire about 3" before the headlight plug and install it in-line there.

The black wire is the ground the yellow wire goes right to the high beam element. And the blue is the power for the tail lamp.

If you use the K&S switch, it will go like this:

Cut the yellow wire about 3" from the headlamp connector, now cut the blue wire from the headlight connector, but leave the yellow wire there. So the yellow wire coming from the harness is now your AC power (think of it as the battery + to make it easier) and the yellow pigtail left on the headlight connector is now your high beam. If you want to add low beam, you will need to install a blade connector into the headlamp plug, and that wire will be your low beam.

K&S colors
Red-----hook to the yellow wire from harness (battery +)
Blue---- hook to the blue wire you cut from the headlamp connector
Green-- Hook this to the lo beam wire you added
Yellow--This will hook to the yellow from the headlight connector

White---
Black--- hook these to your 2 kill switch wires

If you use the above, the K$S switch will be able to kill the bike, turn off headlamps, and run low and high beam. The tail lamp will be off if the headlamps are off also. Now if you burnt out your headlamp bulb, you can switch to lo beam as a back up, better than coming out of the woods in the dark! :banghead:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 06, 2005 - 12:01 PM

the 03 had a on/off and the 04 didn't,all thats needed is that 03 switch and run the hot headlight wire in one side of the switch and out the other :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.