Putting Acetone in Gas????

62 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:10 AM

Ignorance is lack of knowledge in a specific area, not the unwillingness to listen to someone who tries to jam it down my throat. I see what you're saying J. I don't argue the facts at all. I'll heed your information and try 89 from now on. Thanks for the info.

• jturmel

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Since you're willing to listen now, I am also going to add that running a higher octane than is needed can also cause excessive carbon build-up, which is not good... it can mean eventually having to run that high octane ALL the time (because of the increased compression ratio), or tearing it down and cleaning up the problem.

-J

• TimBrp

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:33 AM

Now that's some info I can relate too. Ran 93 in my 88 Camaro (advised by a half-ass mechanic) and I figured I'd give the Bosch platinum 4 plugs a try. Those things had so much carbon build up on them it's not even funny. Presentation is key J, thanks!

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:46 AM

jturmel, I agree with almost everything you have said about octain and gas choices. I just think you have been obnoxious in your presentation. There are a lot of different ways to say the same thing.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 12, 2005 - 12:16 PM

:banghead:

Shows how much you know

What's up with this?

• J_Daniels

Posted October 12, 2005 - 12:17 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot, physics doesn't apply to you and your buddies. :banghead:

-J

And this...

• J_Daniels

Posted October 12, 2005 - 12:18 PM

I guess you just don't understand... and are too ignorant to be willing to. -J

??????

• J_Daniels

Posted October 12, 2005 - 12:19 PM

Well if he posts as if the "rules" do not apply to him, then he is being irrational...

I think you have said quite enough.

• jturmel

Posted October 12, 2005 - 12:34 PM

&%$#@!?

Welcome to last night/this morning...

"I just love beating this dead horse." ~ ssanddemon

-J

• J_Daniels

Posted October 12, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Sorry I missed your histrionics, dork. I was out riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jturmel

Posted October 13, 2005 - 05:53 AM

So what's the deal with coming back and stirring the pot? Looks like you're the dork...

-J

• J_T

Posted October 13, 2005 - 01:09 PM

Lets see who's the bigger person and lets the other have the last word!

• jturmel

Posted October 13, 2005 - 01:13 PM

Lets see who's the bigger person and lets the other have the last word!

I guess I'll be the prick... :banghead:

By the way, why did you post two different similar messages but delete one?

-J

• BWB63

Posted October 13, 2005 - 02:48 PM

jturmel = wr450fyamaha :banghead:

He knows about gas but, does he have a bike?

Troll -> looking to piss off the masses for the attention

It is not what you wrote, (well, some of it) but, how you wrote it.
Avatar, Attitude, your are rude, you like it and it works for you. Some don't like it and will take it personal. I could careless. Most of this stuff you read is meeningless till the reader adds the meening (attitude). Have a great time with your stir stick. I guess it's better then watching TV.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:36 PM

Respect is free. Give it and you will get it. Give out attitude with good info and the message will be lost. By the way, I agreed with 90%+ of your facts. I run super (91 here) due to 4 deg. advanced ignition timing in my 94 Toyota truck. It will ping slightly under towing loads with 87 octane. But the guys who find their car or truck runs better with supreme may have other issues such as: dirty injectors causing inefficient fuel atomization, carbon deposits in the combustion chambers, performance exhaust systems which can reduce backpressure, excessive engine heating caused by coolant passage build up, faulty engine knock sensor, faulty EGR valve, the list goes on.... They are not necessarily crazy or stupid to claim gains from the use of increased octane fuels.

• RingKingPin

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Ok, my turn to flog the thread! :banghead: I just came back from riding for an hour by myself and I come back to this! I personally think all parties engaged, (myself included) thrive of this. I had no idea that this "conversation" was taking place and here's what I did today. Called my boat mechanic to tell him to wait until next week to winterize my boat since the weather was so nice. I next went down to Knoll brothers and checked out the wine list: 118 leaded, 114 leaded, 110 leaded and 100 non-leaded. I usually mix some good stuff with the 89 octante rotovalve (I think that's what it's called) that I get at the gas dock. The engine is a lightly massaged 400hp SBC. I THINK we last set the timing to 36 degrees advanced. It doesn't ping at all on the pump gas and runs like a cool raped ape. Well, I wound up not going out on the boat so I mixed 5 gallons 40:1 for my cr250 and I really noticed a difference. I also notice when I run high octane in my 650r and lean out the qwiksilver. I don't notice a difference between BP 93 and BP 89 in my 97 BB Chevy. :banghead:

• MotoGoalie

Posted October 14, 2005 - 10:10 AM

Sorry I missed your histrionics, dork. I was out riding.

Pot, Kettle...welcome and how do you do. :banghead: :lol: :banghead:

• jturmel

Posted October 14, 2005 - 10:28 AM

They are not necessarily crazy or stupid to claim gains from the use of increased octane fuels.

Then it is not a "gain." There was something lost, then something recovered, but the overall net was not a gain; you are just masking a more serious problem, ie. too much carbon buildup in the combustion chamber.

-J

• jturmel

Posted October 14, 2005 - 10:31 AM

jturmel = wr450fyamaha :banghead:

He knows about gas but, does he have a bike?

Troll -> looking to piss off the masses for the attention

It is not what you wrote, (well, some of it) but, how you wrote it.
Avatar, Attitude, your are rude, you like it and it works for you. Some don't like it and will take it personal. I could careless. Most of this stuff you read is meeningless till the reader adds the meening (attitude). Have a great time with your stir stick. I guess it's better then watching TV.

At least I actually brought some useful information to this thread unlike yourself...

Yes I have a bike, actually quite a few, street and dirt.

And why you picking on the avatar? Not a fan of The Big Lebowski? It's on my all-time favorites list. (Not sure why you had to go this low...)

Some people get upset when information is presented to them that they don't agree with or are just stubborn and refuse to agree with even when presented with the facts, it's even amplified when you have someone like me who can sometimes come off a little harsh, but that doesn't change the facts, but it sure does bring out the people who want to whine about a brash person like myself. Sounds like you guys are the one's that need to find something to do. If you don't like the way the information was presented, why don't you make an effort to correct the non-sense next time.

-J

• TimBrp

Posted October 14, 2005 - 11:11 AM

It's not that I didn't believe you J. You presented the "facts" in such a way that my reception of them was off and you made me out to be an ass. You more or less put it like "Hey dipsh!t, this is how it is". Who would listen to someone like that? I immediately said, "screw this guy, let's move on". We could all benefit from your knowledge in that field. If you don't present it in a way that people will listen, it's an exercise in futility on your part. Like I said, I'll heed your info and thanks for it.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.