Putting Acetone in Gas????

62 replies to this topic
  • Mark_Bear

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:11 PM

What does it get in 2nd?

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:21 AM

why cant i get 27 mpg? my eagle vision tsi, 3.5 L 24 valve is gettin about 8.8 mpg.

You driving that thing like a 125??? Or maybe you should look into that check engine light that has been on for the last six months, huh?

I have been driving my Taurus like an old lady ever since the gas prices have gone crazy.

I will have some preliminary mileage data on my first tank with Acetone next week.

• TimBrp

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:35 AM

I just bought a new GMC sierra. I didn't buy her for the gas mileage that's for sure. However, I was curious as to how I could acquire better mileage. I drove like I normally do around town and highway(75-80) and did ok. I then tried to not go over 2000rpm, took it easy on take off and stayed under 70 on the highway and did not yield any better results. Needless to say, I'm driving like I want to. Gas is a neccessity for us and I'm going to have to buy it. I just need to adjust to the price. I'm glad I typically only burn 1/2 a tank per week(about 200 miles) or I'd be screwed. I treat her nice too, 93 octane almost always.

• sportbiker929

Posted October 06, 2005 - 09:58 AM

93 octane for a GMC sierra is unneeded. Just be sure to run fuel from a chevron, texaco or shell. There are some others with good fuel, but it is not the cheapest ones for sure.

• TimBrp

Posted October 06, 2005 - 10:11 AM

I won't run anything less than 89 and on friday's at the local shell station 93 is $.10 off which equates to cheaper/gallon than 89. Why not treat her well? The shell V-power really rocks. I can tell a slight difference in mileage. I get an extra 35-40 miles/tank with 93 vs. 87 or 89. If I'm buying anywhere else it's 89.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 06, 2005 - 11:26 AM

I usually use Mobil 87 for my car. My car pings and knocks uphill if I use Citgo or BJ's. I will have to try Shell. Actually, I have been using 87 for my bike lately too. Seems fine.

• TimBrp

Posted October 06, 2005 - 11:42 AM

Try shell man. I know you'll catch crap that it's imported etcetc. All oil in imported then just refined here. Anyhow, I really like shell. Give the vpower a shot, you'll like it.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 11, 2005 - 01:20 PM

Acetone gave no gas mileage improvement in 3 different vehicles we tried at work. So much for that experiment.

• TimBrp

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hope your injectors are ok.

• jturmel

Posted October 11, 2005 - 07:46 PM

I treat her nice too, 93 octane almost always.

:banghead:

Shows how much you know about the relation between compression ratio, ignition timing and octane.

The higher the octane (RON), the LESS volitile the fuel. The lower the octane, the more volitile. In simple terms, lower octane fuels are easier to ignite and burn. High octane fuels are required for engines that are knock constrained (i.e. supercharged, turbocharged, nitrous assisted, high compression ratios, etc.).

If your engine requires (KEY WORD) 87 octane and you are using 93, you're simply wasting your money. The computer will not recognize higher octane fuels and add spark timing. If your engine requires 91 octane and you're using 87, you could be at risk. First, if you have a knock sensor it will retard the spark timing with the onset of knock. This affects economy and power. If you do not have a knock sensor, you could crack a piston ring land.

I've heard many people say their car ran better, made more power and was faster when using high octane fuel. That's not necessarily true. If the car is equipped with a knock sensor and knock was detected, the computer will pull back spark timing. Adding higher octane fuel will reduce or stop the knock and therefore the computer will restore the spark timing. Hence the more powerful feeling...which isn't adding power, just restoring it.

Using high octane fuel by itself with no changes to the computer software, will result in no power gains what so ever. Spark timing and air fuel ratios are what effect power output. After all, what determines power output of any gasoline engine is how efficiently it burns fuel.

So stick with what your owners manual suggests, unless the vehicle is not stock.

-Josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted October 12, 2005 - 02:55 AM

Never said I was an expert in that field. I could care less honestly. However, I've been in a few of my buddies trucks towing under load, uphill and the 87 just doesn't cut it. I suggested they try 89 or 93 for the ride home and they were very pleased with the mileage and power. If you can feel it in the pedal then it does something, regardless of what your "scientific" explanation depicts.

• sportbiker929

Posted October 12, 2005 - 05:28 AM

Probably the quality of the fuel. Shell makes good gas vs lower priced junk

• jturmel

Posted October 12, 2005 - 06:41 AM

...regardless of what your "scientific" explanation depicts.

Oh yeah, I forgot, physics doesn't apply to you and your buddies. :banghead:

-J

• jturmel

Posted October 12, 2005 - 06:55 AM

Probably the quality of the fuel. Shell makes good gas vs lower priced junk

You do know that there are only a few major oil companies anyways that supply all these different convenience stores? For instance, in my area 7/11's are the overwhelming leader in the amount of stores everywhere. They are consistently the cheapest, just last week when everyone was around $2.50/gal ALL the stations all over the city decided to lower the prices and dropped all their stations to $2.27/gal, it took about 2 or 3 days for everyone to follow suit but it shows how the "smaller" stations can react quicker, to add to this, they get most of their gas from Citgo, which isn't exactly a "no-namer."

-J

• TimBrp

Posted October 12, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Physics?? Anyhow, I'm just stating to the majority that my experience with Shell gas has been good. Smoother motor operation, better mileage, not only in my truck but in my friends and families vehicles. Shame on if you will, the stuff works for me. And if I can get 93 for the same price as 89 at the same station, you bet your ass I will.

-T

• jturmel

Posted October 12, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I guess you just don't understand... and are too ignorant to be willing to. Let me put it simply for you, you want to run the lowest possible octane without causing the engine to ping (knock.) So even if it was the same price, you should run what the combustion chamber wants...

-J

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 12, 2005 - 08:40 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot, physics doesn't apply to you and your buddies. :banghead:

-J

jturmel, welcome to thumpertalk. It is a great place to learn from others and share your knowledge. Now if you could learn to do it without being obnoxious, that would be great for everyone!

• jturmel

Posted October 12, 2005 - 08:46 AM

Well if he posts as if the "rules" do not apply to him, then he is being irrational...

All my posts stated facts about choosing the correct octane level of gasoline for your engine, he comes off with saying stuff like "well it works for me and my buddies" and "it's the same price." It's simply ludicrous to think that putting a higher octane fuel in your engine than is necessary is good for it and I wanted to clear that up, and did by posting an intelligent post explaining why, he then came back with that garbage. If you want people to freely post garbage then by all means I won't try to correct it... it's up to you.

-J

P.S. I've been at ThumperTalk for quite sometime, just never registered to post anything... (in response to you welcoming me.)

• TimBrp

Posted October 12, 2005 - 08:58 AM

I guess you just don't understand... and are too ignorant to be willing to. Let me put it simply for you, you want to run the lowest possible octane without causing the engine to ping (knock.) So even if it was the same price, you should run what the combustion chamber wants...

-J

Did it ever occur to you that I'm not interested in what you have to say? Most modern trucks will ping with 87 while under load, ie. uphill towing. I tow often and elevation changes are crazy here in the northeast. I run 89 usually as the 87 pings under load. If the same station sells 89 at the same price as 93 am I harming the vehicle using 93? No. So why bother to argue the point. I'm not stating you are incorrect, I'm giving you my rationale as to why I use 93 vs. 89. If it's the same price why not do it? Who cares if it makes a difference in the motor? Furthermore, the added detergants in the new Shell V-power gas continuously keep the combustion chamber cleaner than other brands of gas. You are perfectly in your right to add some intelligence to this conversation and you seem to know what you're talking about. Your attitude just stinks Josh. It's a reflection of the "I'm smarter than you", persona you just displayed.

• jturmel

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Did it ever occur to you that I'm not interested in what you have to say?

Which shows ignorance... if you refuse to listen to facts, then that is ignorance.

Most modern trucks will ping with 87 while under load, ie. uphill towing. I tow often and elevation changes are crazy here in the northeast. I run 89 usually as the 87 pings under load.

Which is fine, so get the 89, like my explanation said, you want to run the lowest without pinging, so as you just said that is 89, not the 93 you are putting in it.

If the same station sells 89 at the same price as 93 am I harming the vehicle using 93? No. So why bother to argue the point. I'm not stating you are incorrect, I'm giving you my rationale as to why I use 93 vs. 89. If it's the same price why not do it?

Because you do not make as much power running a fuel that is less combustible, when the cylinder pressure and temperatures would like something that is more combustible.

Who cares if it make a difference in the motor?

Apparently you don't, but I do, and figured most people who want the most performance from their vehicle would care too...

Furthermore, the added detergants in the new V-power gas continuously keep the combustion chamber cleaner than other brands of gas.

While all states are different in their requirements of the fuel, they are all required to have the detergents and additives, and unless you've torn down two engines one who ran one with your "V-Power" and one without and compared the combustion chambers don't claim that you are actually keeping it cleaner.

While I may come off a little harsh, at least I'm not trying to argue for something I know nothing about...

-J

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.