Putting Acetone in Gas????

62 replies to this topic
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted October 05, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Has anyone heard of adding Acetone to your gas to get improved power and mileage? Here are a few links:

http://pesn.com/2005...900069_Acetone/
http://peswiki.com/e...a_Fuel_Additive

I am trying it in my 2001 Taurus. It seems to improve power a little. I will find out about mileage in a week. I can't help but wonder if it would improve the carburation of a 650R with the stock carb? I also wonder if it would attack the plastic gas tank. It would be about 1/2 an ounce of acetone to a tank of gas, so would be very diluted.

Anyone want to talk me out of trying this?

• BWB63

Posted October 05, 2005 - 09:47 AM

It would be nice if the trip is exactly the same. Messured without first, with a full tank, same stops, same weather. Then with all being the same. That would be hard but, the best way to get the answer we are looking for. 2 ounce' per 10 gallons?

• Dan Turner

Posted October 05, 2005 - 09:56 AM

Has anyone heard of adding Acetone to your gas to get improved power and mileage? Here are a few links:

http://pesn.com/2005...900069_Acetone/
http://peswiki.com/e...a_Fuel_Additive

I am trying it in my 2001 Taurus. It seems to improve power a little. I will find out about mileage in a week. I can't help but wonder if it would improve the carburation of a 650R with the stock carb? I also wonder if it would attack the plastic gas tank. It would be about 1/2 an ounce of acetone to a tank of gas, so would be very diluted.

My guess is that you may see a difference at first. This is due to the acetone acting as a fuel injector cleaner, or fuel conditioner. Keeping everthing clean in the fuel system, is going to keep the efficiency.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 05, 2005 - 10:45 AM

My Taurus gets very consistently between 26.5 and 27mpg, so I should have a pretty clear idea of what milage benefits I get out of it. What interests me with the XR is the theory of better atomization due to the acetone acting as an organic surfactant, reducing the molecular bonding of the gas molecules. I am thinking it could possibly help clean up the low end carburation.

Or start dissolving the gas tank.

• fredguy

Posted October 05, 2005 - 12:16 PM

If this worked, all cars would be shipped from Detroit with it in the gas tank, and they would have their vehicles EPA tested with it in the tank so they can meet CAFE requirments and sell more trucks. This would then give them more profit. If the money trail says its false, then its false.

At best it won't do anything at worst it may compromise some seals or damage the tank.

d-

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 05, 2005 - 01:04 PM

Yes, ummm......you know the oil companies? The ones running the country? Well this may surprise you, but they have been known to not support increases in fuel efficiency in the past. Recent examples are Bush not only refusing to impose stricter fuel efficiency requirements for SUV's in the years to come, but actually giving tax breaks to purchase the biggest gas guzzlers out there. I could go on and on, but this will probably provoke enough of a response, and we are wayyyy off topic.

• utah_600r

Posted October 05, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Yes. Don't do it :banghead:

I'd suggest using Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 05, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Ive seen guys doctor thier fuel with Toluene, but not Acetone. If you did both, you may get away with it.

The problem with Acetone by itself is the octane rating is crap. But the motor octane rating of Toluene is like 118 or something. But the Toluene doesnt like to vaporize. At least not on short intake tracts like most motorcycles have. If you ran a 10% Acetone and 15% Toluene mix into your gas you may see some improvements in detonation and possibly in fuel mileage..but I doubt it...

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 05, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Here are some quotes from various sources:

"It's still amazing the number of people that don't realize that gasoline is a solvent and fuel systems are designed to resist solvents, so using acetone is actually less harmful than using gasoline."

"I've been using acetone for about 9 months now and it works very well. Some people insist on believing that it will damage a modern fuel system. Not true, gasoline is more corrosive than acetone. Will you see a huge increase in gas mileage? Probably not but you'll probably pick up 1-2 miles per gallon and at today's gas prices, that's very worthwhile. Start with 3 oz. per 10 gallons. Gas mileage isn't the only benefit. It reduces emissions too."

"Does acetone have a drawback? Yes, DON'T let it get on your paint. I will damage or remove it. Get a fuel funnel from the autoparts store."

"Please, for the sake of the oil and automobile companies, do NOT do anything that will increase your gas mileage and engine lifespan like using acetone. You wouldn't want these companies to go bankrupt now would you? "

"Acetone not only improves mileage but cuts pollution and gives longer life to engines. The peak gain in mileage comes between .03 of one-percent and .20 of one-percent acetone, depending on the actual vehicle which may be running gasoline or diesel. Note .781 cc per liter or .78 parts per 1000 or one part per 1280 is the same as one ounce per 10 gallons. Acetone operates on the unburned portion of the fuel through better vaporization to improve combustion efficiency. Acetone further operates like an electron absorber. It is the ideal additive for gasoline and diesel fuel. There are no bad effects whatsoever and every good reason to use acetone in your fuel. We have driven over one million miles across this country, Canada and Mexico during the past 50 years with only good results from acetone. During all that time, something abnormal would have shown up. Not one single problem. The fuel characteristics during combustion remain exactly the same as those of the original fuel. It just burns more completely with insignificant amounts of acetone in the fuel. This phenomenon happens to reduce pollution as well as improve mileage. Engines love it."

• dorkpunch

Posted October 05, 2005 - 01:50 PM

we went through this in the ford truck enthusiast forum with the older trucks- couple of guys tested it over a couple of months. seemed to help *slightly* but everyone that tried it also said their trucks seemed to run smoother and start better. :banghead: who knows? to each there own....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:55 PM

The money trail (or lack of it) is what makes this worth looking into. No one is asking for any! That is what is making this something to look into. Unless the Acetone company is the one who started this whole idea to boost it's sales/stock? No one is selling a acetone injector or some acetone inverter. Just some ideas that seem to works on some vehicles. Not all, not double your gas milage, cure cancer, make your mother-in-law go away.
I can see lots of reasons that would stop it from being in pump gas.

Can't control the evaporation rate

Can't stop it (the gas) from getting on the cars paint.

Storage life in gas?

Storage life if the fuel system of a vehicle.

But, that doesn't mean it wouldn't help if you find these equations out and use Acetone carfully.

• drokes

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:13 PM

Where's Bill Nye the science guy when you need him...

• BWB63

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:39 PM

Original published in:

GS-Xtra
1213 Gornto Road
Valdosta, GA 31602
(912) 244-0577

Editor: Richard Lasetter, president Gran Sport Club of America (GSCA)

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Dan Turner

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:42 PM

Who's to say if it puts out less pollutants? Probably just making different pollutants that aren't monitored. It's like the CNG and LP powered cars...they say they run cleaner when they are just putting out unmonitored air trash.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:55 PM

Those formulas work, but the problem is the toluene doesnt atomize well in short unheated intake tracts. They do work great in auto engines with EGR systems that heat the AF mixtures...but whats the octane rating on the mineral spirits? That will be undoing your boosting effect of the Toluene or Xylene...

You cant readily get toluene in California anymore because its one of the ingredients of crystal meth production. But I know you can get Xylene...

• gnfreak

Posted October 05, 2005 - 04:30 PM

before i went to an alcohol injection system in my Buick Grand National, i was mixing up my own fuel. i used toulene at not more than 30% mixture to 93 octane gasolene. it would come out to about 100 octane mixture. was able to bump up the boost some while reducing detonation. i understand that toulene is one of the additives in gas anyway so using it doesn't hurt as long as you dont go to heavy. Xylene was a little higher octane number but required some lube added to it. I mixed up some when we sold the kid's kx80 and that little bugger ran better with the mix.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 05, 2005 - 05:05 PM

This was batted about for months on Hotboat last year. Lots of back- and -forth on why to use it, why not to, etc. A few guys did long trips (towing their boats, of course) where they knew precisely the fuel amount they always used. Everyone came back with gains of at least a mile per gallon or so. The guy who did the best got like an extra 3 mpg. The only guys who ended up being disappointed were the ones who used too much acetone. They had no gains. Apparently, a very tiny amount of acetone per gallon mixed gives good results and is way too minor a component to the actual fuel do any harm to the vehicle's fuel system. I have no opinion on this, haven't tried it yet, and may never. I have a company vehicle, and don't have to buy much gas.

• BWB63

Posted October 05, 2005 - 05:09 PM

Toluene has a very low flash point and vaporizes very fast. I bought my last gallon at Ace hardwear. It works great in polish cannon. Way better then gas. Has an octane rating of 110.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 05, 2005 - 05:25 PM

My Taurus gets very consistently between 26.5 and 27mpg, so I should have a pretty clear idea of what milage benefits I get out of it. What interests me with the XR is the theory of better atomization due to the acetone acting as an organic surfactant, reducing the molecular bonding of the gas molecules. I am thinking it could possibly help clean up the low end carburation.

Or start dissolving the gas tank.

why cant i get 27 mpg? my eagle vision tsi, 3.5 L 24 valve is gettin about 8.8 mpg.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 05, 2005 - 05:45 PM

why cant i get 27 mpg? my eagle vision tsi, 3.5 L 24 valve is gettin about 8.8 mpg.

wr, this is a thread hijack if I ever saw one! :banghead: Sounds like you have a bad O2 sensor or something along those lines. Them's some really bad mileage numbers for a small car!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.