Wave brake rotor for XR650R?

13 replies to this topic
  • 4Takt

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:07 AM

I damaged the front brake rotor on my 650R. Luckily I have a second set of wheels, so I have some time to shop around for a replacement. Since I'll have to shell out for a new rotor anyway I was thinking about getting a wave or petal style rotor.

Does anybody besides Galfer make them for the XRR?

Do they offer improved braking over stock, or is it just for weight saving/looks?

Thanks, 4Takt

• Supplicate

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:18 AM

I would suggest getting the EBC oversized front rotor since everyone who has it does nothing but rave about it :banghead:

• TimBrp

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:28 AM

The EBC's are nice. I believe Braking does also.

• 4Takt

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:44 AM

Do those oversized EBC rotors require the use of an adapter for the caliper?

Where do you buy them?

4Takt

• mackmack

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:59 AM

if you buy the braking oversize 260mm kit I have an extra 260mm rotor i'll sale you for your spare wheel. the braking 260mm and ebc 280mm require a caliper spacer which is included in the kit.

• 4Takt

Posted October 05, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Sorry about the stupid question, but is "Braking" the manufacturer's name?
Where do you get it, what does it look like?

4Takt

• ferguscawley

Posted October 05, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Sorry about the stupid question, but is "Braking" the manufacturer's name?
Where do you get it, what does it look like?

4Takt

This is what it looks like fitted to a 650R.
Caliper spacer bracket to accomodate 320mm disc

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Naru

Posted October 05, 2005 - 09:07 AM

I have the dirt-sized (270mm) Braking wave rotor on my XR650R.. I think it's the same one that Honda runs on their Baja 1K bikes, but not sure. The package comes with the disk, billet adapter and a set of braking brake pads; it also costs quite a penny, at something like $280 or close to that :banghead:. Anywho, had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten the EBC rotor. It's a bit larger at 280mm which is why I stayed away initially (several people on the CRF forum complained that it was too grabby for dirt), but this bike weighs substantially more than a CRF so the extra brake power probably wouldn't hurt. The EBC also isn't a 'wave' style rotor, but at the $150 or so savings, you could warp 2 EBCs for the price of a braking rotor.

Another issue I had was availability. Most major distributor catalogs stock the Braking rotors for every bike but the XR650R (but they do stock the rear wave rotor for the BRP, for reasons I can't imagine). To get mine, my dealer made a special order request from Parts Unlimited for 2 rotors for my 2 XR's. The first one came OK, but the second has been on back order for close to 8 months. Apparently, Braking had some falling out with their US distributor (I think it was Motion Pro, but not positive), so getting their disks is a pain.

Whatever you get though, go oversized. It makes a HUGE difference with this bike. :banghead:

• 4Takt

Posted October 05, 2005 - 09:09 AM

Thanks ferguscawley, but I definitely wouldn't want to go anywhere near that big.
I ride in the dirt mostly, and I wasn't really dissatisfied with the stock brake performance. With a rotor that huge I know I'd hit it in the rocks and deep ruts all the time. That's what got my stock rotor bent.

4Takt

• 4Takt

Posted October 05, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Naru, is this the rotor you're talking about?

http://cyclepages.co...GroupID=4003298

• ponq

Posted October 05, 2005 - 10:53 AM

if you buy the braking oversize 260mm kit I have an extra 260mm rotor i'll sale you for your spare wheel. the braking 260mm and ebc 280mm require a caliper spacer which is included in the kit.

How much are you selling the spare 260mm for?
I want to set up a 17" set of wheels and a stock set, and I don't think I want to go to the full supermoto 280mm rotors.

• zrxchris

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:52 PM

I have a XR650L motard.......are they any inexpensive reloacting kits for the stock caliper so I can put an oversize rotor on it?

• Naru

Posted October 05, 2005 - 05:27 PM

Naru, is this the rotor you're talking about?

http://cyclepages.co...GroupID=4003298

Yup, that's it. Looks like the price went up though; but steel prices have been blowing up too, so that's expected I guess. But as I said, I'd still go with that rotor over the Braking setup. The Braking disk just costs too much for what it is; probably do in no small part to paying royalties on the 'wave' design copyright.

• mackmack

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:18 AM

I need $65 for the OS 260mm rotor only, it's straight and NOT grooved.

You'll need to buy the "kit" you can get it from the thumpertalk store for around $200 it comes with 260mm rotor, caliper bracket, and a set of pads.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.