Tips 4 a noob Yamaha

9 replies to this topic
  • xr250ryder

Posted October 05, 2005 - 05:57 AM

K, ive got my xr250 and its just not enough power for me ive been reading posts and i know that you would be stupid to go to a wr426 for your first bike but ive ridden for about 7 years. So im thinkin on gettin a wr426 i was just wondering if somebody would give me some speks on it and if there are any problems with particular year bikes that i should stay aways from. Thank you , any help would be appreciated.

• byggd

Posted October 05, 2005 - 07:06 AM

The 426 is a pretty bullet proof bike. I have an 02 and love it. I went to the 426 from a KLR250 so it was quite an eye opening experience the first time a pinned the throttle :lol: but I got used to it real quick :banghead: For as much power as it has the power is very predictable. If you get one you will never look back.....well except to see if anyone is gaining on you :banghead:

• simon@vic

Posted October 05, 2005 - 07:11 AM

get a 2002 or newer.

• Matty05

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:45 PM

the seat height might be a problem if you are under 6'.

• xr250ryder

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:43 AM

K, im a little over 6 ft. 6 ft 1 or somethin like that and I saw a 2001 for sale, so was that the first model of the wr 426 so I should stay away from that? :banghead: Also i was curious to know what the mpg is on the 2002 wr 426 because im going to use mine for "screwing around" and a bit of trail ridein with my dad so i already know ill dominate at both but I dont want to drag gas with me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:28 PM

They have a bigger tank than my '05, holding a few more litres.
I get about 100kms (60 - 65 miles) out of mine give or take.

The seat height should be good but remember it is an old bike and things would be worn out.

If I got it, I would get the suspension revalved and serviced straight away.

• tp3dxf

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:54 PM

K, ive got my xr250 and its just not enough power for me ive been reading posts and i know that you would be stupid to go to a wr426 for your first bike but ive ridden for about 7 years. So im thinkin on gettin a wr426 i was just wondering if somebody would give me some speks on it and if there are any problems with particular year bikes that i should stay aways from. Thank you , any help would be appreciated.

I got my 01 WR426 in Feb. of 02. I feel the 01 and 02 models are the most reliable WR's ever made. The only real problem I had was with the front chain guide. They fit loose. Dirt and grit would get under them and wear on a weld on the swingarm. If not checked and fixed it could cause the weld to crack after time. Some shoegoo and a bicycle tube fixed that problem easy.

I installed a Hotcamshafts auto decompression cam in my bike. It was way worth the money as I don't have to go thur the starting drill anymore. I even removed my deco lever. It's just not needed.

Do all of the normal WR mods. Remove the air box lid, install a YZ throttle screw cost like six bucks at the dealer. Cut the grey wire and ride the snot out of the bike. The engine is amazing. In over 200 hours on the bike I have I still have the stock clutch and top end. Checked the valves twice and the were good. The 01 and 02 WR were the best. No need to worry about electric starter problems that came up in the 03 models.

Get the bike change the oil clean the filter and take good care of her and she will give you the ride of your life. I put a Clarke 3.2 gallon tank on my bike and a YZ seat. Great set up. I get close to 35 mpg on my bike even when racing dez. A stabilizer makes this bike track like a bullet. They don't turn like a MX bike but are very stable at speed. PM me if you want to know more about bike set up.

• xr250ryder

Posted October 07, 2005 - 05:49 AM

Thank you for the help, now all i need to do is come up with 1000 dollars sell my old bike and get a wr 426 (shouldnt be to hard since its gettin into dirt bike sellin season :banghead: ) then ill do all the mods and impress the hell outta all my friends :banghead:

• mousemeat

Posted October 07, 2005 - 09:04 AM

i know that you would be stupid to go to a wr426 for your first bike

I got a WR450 for my first bike, and the first motorbike i ever rode was a CRF450R. The throttle response is so predictable and linear, they are pretty easy to ride, given appropriate self control.

I didn't get the 450 because i thought i needed the power. I got it because i wont need the power, and therefore won't rev it to the moon. I expect it to last a long time.

• xr250ryder

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Itl last along time if you dont have people who have been ride'n 2 strokes ride it and rev the sh1t outta the bike and dont change oil :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.