crosthreaded bolt

10 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:52 PM

the other day i accidentally cross threaded the banjo fitting for the oil return line on the right side engine case cover *the hard line that runs from the head to the case cover* does anyone know what size & thread pitch i will need to do a Hellicoil? thanks for the info.

• grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:45 AM

No, not offhand, but to start with, that's a feed line, not a return. That particular bolt is different than the other two, at least on the '03 450. It should be a 10mm or 8mm ISO thread.

• spinblue

Posted October 05, 2005 - 12:47 PM

You might be able to tap the hole with the current size to straighten the hole out. Sears Craftsman metric taps and a handle to turn it. If your near the NW suburbs of Chicago, let me know as I have them on hand.
Tommy

• matt116

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:50 PM

You should put some grease on the tap, it will help collect the chips if you don't plan on takeing the head off the bike.

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:49 PM

Be very careful if you work with the head on the bike. Any chips that stay in that oil line may likely end up in your cam bearings. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skwerlee

Posted October 07, 2005 - 09:27 PM

well the problem is on the banjo fitting on the right side case cover, no the head. I'm going to drill/tap/ & Helli coil it. I've done this before on another bolt, i just wanted to see if anyone new the bot & pitch info for the Helli coil

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 08, 2005 - 04:36 AM

I don't know for that particular bolt, but take it with you to the parts store. Go to a store with lots of loose nuts/bolts and match one up to the bolt then check out what thread you have. Good luck!

• Butta

Posted October 08, 2005 - 06:21 PM

I stripped that same bolt on my old 400. Luckily I had another side case/cover laying around from a granaded WR that I was able to swap out.

• biznet1

Posted October 09, 2005 - 04:12 AM

Any hardware store will have a thread gauge. You can measure to get the OD.

• rsstom

Posted October 09, 2005 - 10:30 AM

This bolt is a 10x1.25 The ones one the head and transmission are 8x1.25
Like sirthumpalot said, you'd better pull the cover to install the heli-coil. This oil line feeds the head and transmission so you don't want any obstructions there! Not for the price of a gasket!

• skwerlee

Posted October 09, 2005 - 03:07 PM

thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it. I'll pull the case cover off to do the work, i already have a spear gasket for reinstalling the cover. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.