Replacing Throttle tube, What kinda grease?

14 replies to this topic
  • ridered50230

Posted October 04, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Alls i got is Multi purpose Lithium grease and I am replacing a throttle tube. Can I use this between the bar/tube or what?

• ttr125lerider

Posted October 04, 2005 - 03:52 PM

hmm.. i didn't use anything between the bar and tube i dont think when i replaced mine, the tube doesn't really come in contact with the bar

• ridered50230

Posted October 04, 2005 - 04:13 PM

well... i put it on and it rubbed so idk?

• CV4

Posted October 04, 2005 - 04:46 PM

I wouldn't recommend putting any kind of lube between the throttle tube and bars. It will only attract dirt and dust and most likely cause problems in the future.

• Cozza

Posted October 04, 2005 - 04:47 PM

well... i put it on and it rubbed so idk?

When I put mine back on. I had waterproof bicycle bearing grease, so I put some in between. The only down side is I see it collecting more grime in there. so check it often.

• ssanddemon

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:03 PM

Yup, grease will turn to sludge before long. Best to leave it dry as the nylon- type plastic of the throttle tube is slippery anyway.

• Trailryder42

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:49 PM

Like the others have said, install it dry. Don't use anything between the tube and bar.

• 4STOKED

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:41 AM

try using a silicone lubricant spray. lite and easy.

• Robbo66

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:52 AM

I use graphite powder. Works a treat.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted October 05, 2005 - 07:05 AM

hmm.. i didn't use anything between the bar and tube i dont think when i replaced mine, the tube doesn't really come in contact with the bar

Ditto. Just use some WD40 and you'll be good to go.

• Powderhound

Posted October 05, 2005 - 08:40 AM

I would never use any kind of lube unless you want to be taking it apart all the time to clean it. Graphite powder would work well I bet. I can't immagine wanting a more sensitive throttle though.

• learning2fly

Posted October 05, 2005 - 08:43 AM

I went with an aluminum throttle tube after breaking three plastic throttle tubes, and didn't like the metal on metal drag, so I use a little graphite powder when I replace my grips or have to clean it out after a bath in the mud. Anything liquid will attract dirt. :banghead:

• xrMike

Posted October 05, 2005 - 10:01 AM

I use graphite powder. Works a treat.

Yeah, graphite is about the only thing you'd want to use between throttle tube and bar, if anything at all.

• ridered50230

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:28 PM

well when he cracked it he bent up and chipped a bit of his bars so it created the friction, ill sand down the "debris" and it should be clean.

thanks

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:36 PM

i know some people who work for transworld and answer/protaper so i get to go in the factory semis alot if im hanging out with them...when i was in the yamaha semi he was working on the bike putting a new throttle on...he used a very bright red thin grease, looked like it was a jelly type..not quite sure, but he did use grease befor putting the throttle on...ive seen this done many times by top mechanics

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My first bike... 01 Cr80 by dylancr80

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

oil seals 1990 cr250 wont seat by allenbstoney

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2013 RMZ450 Burning Engine Oil by Connor Corrigan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   RM-Z 450
  • 12 replies
Forums
Photo

team maico! by NCSteve

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Dual sport project by joe reed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.