Any one make a street legal WR in Washington State?

4 replies to this topic
  • jesse wardlow

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:25 PM

I have been told second or third hand that you cant. Any one have experience with this?

I find it hard to believe they could stop you from doing it. You can build a car and have it tested, and a trailer, so why not a bike?

I want to make the WR 450 I buy a dual sport so i can ride it to work on nice days. Its only 2 miles, but it would be fun.

• dbailey223

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:48 PM

Since there's only 15 nice days a year, just cheat! Just kidding.

Check out the thread I did a couple days ago about dual sporting a WR in Nevada. In one of the replies, a link is provided that gives the requirements for each state. Note--I believe it was prepared in 1998 though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:54 PM

Check out the requirements for a reconstructed title....I suspect that's how the car guys and chopper builders get legal.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 04, 2005 - 03:06 PM

I have been told second or third hand that you cant. Any one have experience with this?

I find it hard to believe they could stop you from doing it. You can build a car and have it tested, and a trailer, so why not a bike?

I want to make the WR 450 I buy a dual sport so i can ride it to work on nice days. Its only 2 miles, but it would be fun.

If the mfg's ID sticker or the title says "ORV" you cannot get it licensed in WA. It has not alweays been this way and it might not always be this way but right now thats the way it is. Does'nt matter how much you spend on a dual sport kit, if it was manufactured and imported as an ORV you cannot legally get it licensed.

Have you bought your bike yet? If not, consider International M/C brokers of British Columbia. They will meet you in Blaine with the bike in a crate, it's a good deal and because it's an import and you take in paperwork that is not typically seen by your local D.O.L. it was easy enough for me just to say, " I need a license plate not an ORV tab" and they gave me one. Now my bike would never make it thru a state patrol inspection but it does not have to and I have had it ran once up at Gifford Pinchot and I did not get a ticket despite the fact that the bike is no where near street legal! I only ride road to get to the next trail head so I really don't care in fact the plate is just one more thing to break off.........

There is also a guy in here, toyota_mtd_tech and he has a WA plated WR as well. He may have a different method but I would suggest looking into buying from Canada and trying it that way.

Good Luck :banghead:

• jesse wardlow

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:43 PM

My other option is to buy it in Oregon and get it titled in Oregon. My buddy has the 426 that is plated. He bought it in oregon so it was titled in oregon.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.