Mechanic overfilled oil, leaked out air box, anything to worry about?

6 replies to this topic
  • BlueBayou

Posted October 04, 2005 - 11:32 AM

Well, I know it's a common problem, and I should have actually checked my oil level prior to riding it, but I actually had faith that the honda mechanic would know the proper procedure for putting oil in these bikes.

My bike is a brand new 02 model I just bought a week ago, I rode it maybe 5 miles the day I got it and parked it for a week. This weekend I took it out and put about 30 miles on it, and noticed the oil coming out the airbox, and immediately knew that the mechanic who put the fluids in the bike when I bought it overfilled it.

What should I do at this point? Did the problem fix itself and the all the excess oil came out the airbox...do I need to worry about the countershaft seal?

• TimBrp

Posted October 04, 2005 - 12:13 PM

Do you know how to check the oil level? If this is a 650R warm the bike up and check the level(immediately after shutdown). Loosen the frame drain plug and let some out until it reaches the proper level. Good luck.

• 4Takt

Posted October 04, 2005 - 12:25 PM

Buy a shop manual off ebay and go over the bike with a fine toothed comb. Don't trust anything you haven't checked out yourself.

You might have seen this already, but here are a few sites that helped me:

http://autos.groups....m/group/XR650R/
(read their FAQ page)

http://www.xr650r.us/

http://chblock.com/d...t/maint/xr650r/

4Takt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueBayou

Posted October 04, 2005 - 12:43 PM

Do you know how to check the oil level? If this is a 650R warm the bike up and check the level(immediately after shutdown). Loosen the frame drain plug and let some out until it reaches the proper level. Good luck.

good point, forgot to mention I have an 2002 650R
Yes, I know how to check oil level. However, since it was my first ride I neglected to check it since the honda mechanic had just filled it when I bought it a week ago.

My question is more along the lines of, "Aside from soiling my filter with oil are there any other problems that could have been caused and if so how would I know?"

• resslera

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:25 PM

If I were you I'd atleast call the dealer and ask them what they are going to do to keep your business? Perhaps a free 600 mile service?

• TimBrp

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:07 AM

I'm w/ resslera on his comment. Furthermore, I'd make them look over the bike. I have faith that nothing is wrong. If the seals aren't leaking by now, you should be fine. Internal seals can have excess pressure on them too, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's an xr after all.

• Eric Henion

Posted October 05, 2005 - 04:14 PM

I would call the dealer and complain also. In my youth I worked at a Honda dealer when the 600r were new they drilled it into us (lot attendants) on how to check the oil and to show a new owner on the proper method. If the dealer ship is a good one then they should comp you something and check the bike for you as you wait and look on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.