I thank you for your Emails and your interest in the possibility of an
issue with your Honda XR650R foot pegs. As I'm sure you will agree,
comments such as yours can only assist Honda in providing the best possible
product to the customer.

Honda Australia no longer race the XR650 however, when we did, in the
National Thumper Series and the Australian Safari, the only modification
that was made to the foot peg area, was to fit wider foot pegs with a more
aggressive sharper "teeth" with better "foot slip" protection for the
riders. The foot peg mounting points were unchanged.

As I pointed out in our phone conversation, I was not aware of this problem
and have had no reported cases on our files, so I am unable to offer any
more information.

Thanks again for allowing me to comment

Regards

Glenn Granger
Technical Department
Honda Motorcycles

• Supplicate

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:35 PM

As I pointed out in our phone conversation, I was not aware of this problem
and have had no reported cases on our files

hah, thats a load of bull :banghead: and we all know it.

its like in any other industry, especially the ones I have experience in, every time we find something failed out there in the field and ship it back "Oh... this is the first time we have -ever- seen this."

then we say "What about the same piece of equipment we found last week failed on another area?"

or a really good one is here on this very forum when the Renthal rep started posting how their twin walls have never failed before :banghead: suuuuuuuuuure.

• hill5150

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:51 PM

Double bullshiit here too , I am sending them a letter tonight, it's not going to be pretty either, :banghead: I almost got ran over by my own bike railing at 70MPH after my peg broke both bolts,I love my Red Honda but this footpeg problem has got to go........... :banghead:

• qadsan

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:51 PM

If Honda said it, then it must be true :banghead: :banghead:

• Mark_Bear

Posted October 03, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Look at it this way, we don't have a problem with the ones in Oz so I don't need to worry about it. Now...where was it i get the peg modded?

I'll be fixing it somehow, I reckon I can do a reasonable mod myself, given what I've seen posted, not because there is a problem, just to practice my welding skills.

• Supplicate

Posted October 03, 2005 - 05:08 PM

animalhousedesigns.net

you could probably do it yourself though with a welder and piece of platesteel if you really wanted to.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 03, 2005 - 05:31 PM

i dont ride an r and i am well aware of the right foot peg curse............some one else send them a letter and see if they reply the same.....then prove that they did know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Bear

Posted October 03, 2005 - 06:29 PM

That's a very rational and logical response, good point indeed.

• XR6's_rule

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:19 AM

For what it's worth, I have owned an XR650R and know plenty of others who have owned them and none of these owners have had any sort of footpeg problem. BUT these particular bikes were used for tighter trail and enduro riding and not high speed, high impact riding or desert riding which would in my opinion would place more stress on footpeg components. Regardless, if this is a common problem with the bikes elsewhere Honda should defintely do something about it as this is a serious safety issue.

• TimBrp

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:59 AM

That sucks. That's called a CYA response. Check your Ass.

• RingKingPin

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:34 AM

For what it's worth, I have owned an XR650R and know plenty of others who have owned them and none of these owners have had any sort of footpeg problem. BUT these particular bikes were used for tighter trail and enduro riding and not high speed, high impact riding or desert riding which would in my opinion would place more stress on footpeg components. Regardless, if this is a common problem with the bikes elsewhere Honda should defintely do something about it as this is a serious safety issue.

Unfortunately, the problem of the right footpeg doesn't discriminate. I broke mine a couple weeks ago riding trails in Michigan. These are hilly, woodsy trails, not wide open high speed trails. I'm a pretty big person (probably 260 geared up) but I also know of someone who weighs 145lbs who broke one. My bike is an '01 and I've put a good number of hours on it and it just broke in September of '05. Don't tell me the chumps at Honda (anywhere, AUS, JAP, USA, ETC) don't know about this. Fer crying out loud, Johnny Cambell sells the fix on his WEBSITE. How can Honda not know about it when one of thier top riders sells the fix from his own website. :banghead: :banghead:

• Husky_Forever

Posted October 05, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Honda knows, but can't admit it or the big "Lawsuits in the sky" would open up that they can sell a bike that is prone to breakage. :banghead: I have a former broken wrist to prove for my peg. :banghead: Campbell told myself and one other at Mikes two years back that his footpeg broke in a Nevada desert race and he rode 3 miles to the next pit with his right foot on his brake pedal. Now they have fixes for the peg (PC and other companies). I loved my PIG too, but sold it after it cost me 10 months off work. Good luck with yours. Steny

• x thread

Posted October 13, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Honda knows, but can't admit it or the big "Lawsuits in the sky" would open up that they can sell a bike that is prone to breakage. :banghead: I have a former broken wrist to prove for my peg. :banghead: Campbell told myself and one other at Mikes two years back that his footpeg broke in a Nevada desert race and he rode 3 miles to the next pit with his right foot on his brake pedal. Now they have fixes for the peg (PC and other companies). I loved my PIG too, but sold it after it cost me 10 months off work. Good luck with yours. Steny

JUST PICKED UP A NEW SET OF BOLTS TODAY FROM HONDA .ASKED SALESMAN ABOUT FOOTPEG ISSUE AND GOT THE OLE ,NEVER HEARD ABOUT THAT BEFORE REPLY .I SAID SURE YOU HAVENT AS I WALKED OUT .GEARING UP FOR THE KRITTER FIX ASAP BUT GOTTA RIDE FOR NOW !!!!!!

• J_Daniels

Posted October 13, 2005 - 09:41 PM

When I bought mine (a 2000) about six months ago, I read about the peg issue and put a torque wrench to the bolts. Sure enough, they were really loose, like 10 ft/lbs each. The kickstarter bolt was totally backed out, ready to fall off as well; this on a bike with really low hrs, not beat on at all. I'm looking to do a plate steel fix in the near future to correct the peg bolt issue, my sympathy to the guys with injuries. Honda should be personally liable for losses due to this design flaw.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.