Even More Rekluse and Flywheel Weight Questions

15 replies to this topic
  • beasleys

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:29 PM

My Rekluse should be in tomorrow afternoon. I can not wait to get it installed but I still have a a few questions. I have a 14 oz Zip-Ty Flywheel weight that I am already running. I understand the Rekluse adds approx 6 oz of weight to the flywheel also. Should I still run a total of 20 oz of weight? :banghead: Or should I remove the Zip-Ty and Start fresh with just the rekluse. I am a novice rider that rides 95% woods so I like the way the 14 oz feels and the way I didn't stall anymore but I am just afraid it may be to much of a good thing. If it matter I am also running a 14/52 gearing. Thanks for any and all input. :banghead:

• Scotty426

Posted October 03, 2005 - 05:07 PM

I hope you will post your results. I run a YZ 426 in tight, nasty woods as well. It sure sounds like a lot of weight. Frankly, I adore the "hit" of the YZ and have added no flywheel weight because when I do hit a straight it is great to rocket away. I bump up my idle each day I ride and run the boysen accel cover. This prevents almost all stalls. I do know that I looked into flywheel weights for stalls a while ago and they said that if the idle circuit isn't right, more weight will make stalling worse. I also saw a Dirt Bike article about a Suzuki RMZ 450 with a recluse that was very stall sensitive. If it were me, I would not run that much weight. I do not speak from experience. Also, some of the weights are mostly on the perimeter, some are heavy evenly throughout the material. SO- maybe your weight would be fine. Good luck to you either way. Please post the results.

• Anssi

Posted October 03, 2005 - 11:49 PM

I don't know which bike beasleys has, but an '03 450 is a very different beast from an '02 426. Different as in transformed from a tractor to a dragster with very little flywheel weight.

• beasleys

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:23 AM

I have a 01 426 for anyone if that will help with some info. :banghead:

• auto

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:48 AM

I have a 450 husky with a flywheel weight.I got my rekluce used for a good price.Yes it did steal some of the hit.I'm thinking of adding more tungsten balls.Has any one tried this and if so, does it help.

• exIT

Posted October 04, 2005 - 07:58 PM

I'm running a RevLoc on my '01 426 with 14/49 gearing and no flywheel weights. I couldn't ask for a better combo. I ride everything from tight technical trails to desert.

My suggestion would be to add the Rekluse and remove the flywheel weight and then decide if you need it. Stalling won't be an issue once you have the autoclutch. I haven't seen the article that Scotty426 referred to but if the bike is stalling with an autoclutch it would seem like that there are other problems - i.e. jetting. My bike never stalls.

Hope this helps.

• Johny Welch

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Something else worth considering is that the clutch is spinning much more slowly than the crankshaft. Any amount of weight added to the clutch is going to have considerably less flywheel effect than an equal amount of weight added directly to the crankshaft.

• Fastest1

Posted October 05, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Skip the weight at first to truly evaluate the Rekluse. I promise you wont go back!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OldenPhatt

Posted October 06, 2005 - 10:35 AM

I'm running a Rekluse and a 12 oz. flywheel weight on my 02 426 and it works awesome for me. My bike still has more that enough pick up and it's dang near impossible to get stuck. I'm also two teeth up on the rear sproket, but I'll return to the standard gearing the next time I switch the chain and sprokets as the lower gearing is not required since I installed the Rekluse. Of the three mods I made to make the bike better for tight trails--the gearing, flywheel weight and Rekluse--the Rekluse made the largest difference by far. You're going to love it!

• eazrider

Posted October 06, 2005 - 10:57 AM

I put a 10 oz wt on my '04, and the stalling issue went away. After I went to the Rekluse, I found the throttle response to be a little slow, and put the stock flywheel back on. I would like a little more snap, but love the rekluse....

• ncmountainman

Posted October 06, 2005 - 11:54 AM

it would be a slower smoother engagement which would probly work well where traction was a premium, upside. downside is its gonna feel like a slushbox even if you run some carbide balls. i run a +6 fw w/rekluse(3 carbides) on my 05 and find thats a good happy medium between power and traction. i'd take it off,set up the clutch and then decide if you need it,or maybe a smaller one :banghead:

• beasleys

Posted October 07, 2005 - 09:18 AM

Does anyone know of a way to eleminate the 2 stacked gaskets on the clutch cover due to the spacing of the rekluse :banghead: I know rekluse makes a clutch cover but not sure if it is deeper or not. My flywheel weight came with a nice billet spacer and you would think that for 500 dollars the rekluse would too. :banghead:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 10, 2005 - 02:00 PM

thier cover is deeper and eliminates the need to double gasket. it adds a bit of bling and maybe a little oil capacity(not sure on the oil :banghead: ) and i can definately vouch for it being stronger than stock :banghead:

• Fastest1

Posted October 11, 2005 - 10:58 PM

It is billet. It is deeper and it holds more oil. The double gaskets are not a problem or if you like I happen to have 2 aluminum spacers (1 thick, 1 thin) that came from EFM.

• JohnB

Posted October 12, 2005 - 02:06 PM

EFM says they have the billet gaskets which are .375 thick. With their billet gasket it also requires a spacer for the rear brake bolt to move the pedel away from the cover.

The Rekluse double gaskets or their replacement clutch cover is .200 thick.

So.... the question is. Run the EFM billet gasket, add more oil and maybe with more oil it would run cooler?

• beasleys

Posted October 12, 2005 - 04:21 PM

The EFM route sounds to be a little cheaper. Where can I get one. Who are they distributed through? And approx how much would that set up run. I know the Rekluse cover is around 130.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.