yz250 or yz426f?

13 replies to this topic
  • wkloiber

Posted October 03, 2005 - 01:07 PM

I'm currently looking at trading my WR400f up for a more powerful bike I can take to the track. I found my wr way to heavy and way underpowered on the track. That and I don't think the suspension was made for it. I do about 50/50 track/trail riding right now and next season I'm looking to go 75/25 track/trail. At this point i've got an open mind. I'm just wondering which would be the better bike for a beginner rider with one season under his belt. Maintenance and weight are my two biggest factors right now.

• Thumpy79

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:12 PM

Personally I'd go with the 426, the power is smooth and more managable. 2-strokes are a little power starved here in CO. I just put my 426 up for sale, if your interested shoot me a PM.

• yz250ftony

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:17 PM

Does the 426 come with the auto decomp cam? (I know that it doesn't come with it, but an aftermarket one)

• yamarider426

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:21 PM

If your main concern is weight and maintenance go with the 250f
If you are not used to tons of power the 426 can be a little hard to get used to (I am trying to still learn mine). I just started getting back to tracks and I am finding that riding a buddy of mine's 250f to be more fun with plenty of punch for most any track.
As far as maintenance...after you learn how to maintain a 4-stroke, its all elementary.
Expecially with this web site.

• walent215

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:49 PM

go with the 250f if those are your main concerns.

• ride yzf all the way

Posted October 04, 2005 - 04:41 AM

yz250f

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 04, 2005 - 05:15 AM

I ride a 426 myself, never tried a 250 but they sure look like fun and they seem to go fast on the track too. I've never heard a complaint about them. From what I understand, the 426 takes more energy to ride and it is certainly a bit heavier. The power is very smooth and easy to control, but it take a lot of energy to hang on to something that goes that hard if you decide to twist the grip. However a bigger motor won't be worked as hard and will likely go more hours without the need to replace internal parts. A bigger motor is also nice if you ride lots of high speed trails offroad. Both bikes have best in class reliability records. I don't think you can go wrong with either; just determine if you would prefer more power but more tiring to ride, or enogh power and easier to ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tacoma426

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:18 AM

u really cant go wrong with the 426 or the 250f :banghead:

• Emiliano

Posted October 04, 2005 - 07:47 AM

u really cant go wrong with the 426 or the 250f :banghead:

Yeah they are 2 excellent bikes, I rode the 2 of them and they are excellent. The 426 will eat a big hill and the 250 would climb it as well but not as easy as with the 426.
Beautiful machines you cant go wrong with the 426 or the 250

• blksupra1jzed

Posted October 04, 2005 - 07:59 AM

I have a 426 and sirthumpalot put it right, it takes alot of energy to ride. Yes the power is very smooth but also if you really hit it the bike will just explode with power and it still suprises me still how hard it can hit when you really get on it! They are both great bikes but since I have had my 426 I am just biased to it. I love its power delivery and the sound...it sounds like its going to tear anyone apart while the yz250 kinda sounds like someone about to cut your grass :banghead:...good luck!

• yz250ftony

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:18 PM

If your main concern is weight and maintenance go with the 250f
If you are not used to tons of power the 426 can be a little hard to get used to (I am trying to still learn mine). I just started getting back to tracks and I am finding that riding a buddy of mine's 250f to be more fun with plenty of punch for most any track.
As far as maintenance...after you learn how to maintain a 4-stroke, its all elementary.
Expecially with this web site.

Aren't you looking at a 426F or a 250 (not an F)?

• fast426

Posted October 04, 2005 - 03:30 PM

I've got a 426 and love the raw power (I'd love to have a 450 though). If you're prone to arm pump get the 250F. If you like to eat hills for lunch and don't have girly arms, get the 426. For the riding I do ( single track, sand, desert) the 426 is way better suited than the 250F (although it's a little heavy in the tight, sandy stuff). Just my opinion though. For the track I thing I would rather have the 250F. If you pin a 426 or 450 through the whoops you'll end up in the stands with the spectators. :banghead:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 04, 2005 - 07:27 PM

I would go with the 426 or better yet - a 450. Handling, supsension and the reduced weight on the 450's is much better. After upgrading to a 426 from a 250 2-Stroke, the power of any 250 (2-Stroke or 4-Stroke) just doesn't cut it for me. For you, coming from a WR 400, a good running 250 2-Stroke or 4-Stroke may work. I would ride both 250's and bigger bikes and see for yourself. Depends on your size and ability. Your WR is a great woods bike but not ideal for MX. (You have realized that) I would honestly take a 250 2-Stroke over a 250 4-Stroke on the MX track, any day of the week. Sorry fellow Thumpers, don't bash me too hard on this one...

I mostly race Hare Scrambles and generally ride MX for fun with a few occasional MX races. My 426 fits the bill well for both woods and MX and that along with the reliability is what I like the most about it.

:banghead:

• ATAZ

Posted October 05, 2005 - 05:57 AM

Its all about the YZ250, I would love one, but my riding style is much more suited around a 250F

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.