West coast tires

31 replies to this topic
  • rushfan

Posted October 03, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Sorry guys, but another tire question. It seems that a lot of you are recomending IT's, ST's and the m12"s. But I live on the West coast and I'm wondering if my tire needs are a little different from some of you mid West and East coast guys. Can any of the West coast guys tell me what they're riding?? ( per season ) :banghead: I'm not very happy with the stock 756 rear and 739f up front.
Thanks in advance... :banghead:

• Bubie450

Posted October 03, 2005 - 01:16 PM

In my opinion, i think the Maxxis IT's would work just about anywhere!!! Long lasting too.

• WGP

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:11 PM

If you ride Desert/ Mountains with lots of rock, go with Maxxis Desert IT.
Rock hard and can handle the abuse without a flat and last good. :banghead:

• rushfan

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Ok... with that noted, how about the muddy stuff??

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 03, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Ok... with that noted, how about the muddy stuff??

Michelin S-12's - In Washington state we run them practically year round :banghead: Take em' off for Dessert Racing only.

Ultra soft compound but the concave form of the rear knobs will provide good traction throughout the life of the tire. Non directional as well so if you are budget minded you can flip the rear.

I pay $60.00 a tire from my local Yamaha shop.

• RichBaker

Posted October 03, 2005 - 03:17 PM

So.......how do they work in Chocolate Mousse??

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 03, 2005 - 03:46 PM

So.......how do they work in Chocolate Mousse??

Funny, Rich.... :banghead:

• rushfan

Posted October 04, 2005 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the help guys :banghead: I'll flip a coin!!

• jonova

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:42 AM

The D739AT rear and Pirellie MT18 HD for desert. If you want a rear that lasts longer get the D606 130/90/18.

• banffboy

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:55 AM

Michelin S-12's - In Washington state we run them practically year round :banghead: Take em' off for Dessert Racing only.

Ultra soft compound but the concave form of the rear knobs will provide good traction throughout the life of the tire. Non directional as well so if you are budget minded you can flip the rear.

I pay $60.00 a tire from my local Yamaha shop.

That's not quite true. Although the tread pattern looks identical either way. They wear much faster if you mount them opposite to the arrow(I've found this out the hard way) I'm not saying you can't flip them after the one way is worn down, but if you start with the opposite direction the tire will shred fast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 04, 2005 - 07:03 AM

The D739AT rear and Pirellie MT18 HD for desert. If you want a rear that lasts longer get the D606 130/90/18.

Jonova, you know tires..... I agree with the 739at..... I'm racin Vegas to Reno on Friday, I'm runnin a 756 on the front (because I had one in hanging in my garage) and a 739at on the rear.... I love Pirelli's too.....

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted October 04, 2005 - 07:44 AM

i ride 95% desert, im about to go buy a front and rear tire im thinking the d739at for the rear, then for the front either the mt18 hd or the d756.

what size tires should i run/what size do you guys run?

thanks for the info guys.

• walent215

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:31 AM

i ride 95% desert, im about to go buy a front and rear tire im thinking the d739at for the rear, then for the front either the mt18 hd or the d756.

what size tires should i run/what size do you guys run?

thanks for the info guys.

110/90-19 rear maxxis it-80/100-21 front d756 good choice.

• dbailey223

Posted October 04, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Dan_Lorenze, I'm curious about the race from Vegas to Reno. Is there info about it on the web somewhere? I'm curious about the route, etc. Thanks!

• kirkw

Posted October 04, 2005 - 10:36 AM

I am just about as West Coast as you can get without pontoons. Maxxis IT is the BEST rear tire I have ever had. Sure, some of the high end tires may hook up better at the very beginning, but the IT wears, based on my experience, about 3x as long as a desert 739AT. So in the long haul it performs better longer. As for the front, was running a Mich. EnduroCross III (FIM approved M12). Great tire, but Indy and others convinced me to try the new Maxxis SI which is in my garage for install in the next couple days. With the GREAT expereince I have had in sand, desert, rocks and mild mud with the IT rear, it was a no brainer.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:01 PM

I am just about as West Coast as you can get without pontoons. Maxxis IT is the BEST rear tire I have ever had. Sure, some of the high end tires may hook up better at the very beginning, but the IT wears, based on my experience, about 3x as long as a desert 739AT. So in the long haul it performs better longer. As for the front, was running a Mich. EnduroCross III (FIM approved M12). Great tire, but Indy and others convinced me to try the new Maxxis SI which is in my garage for install in the next couple days. With the GREAT expereince I have had in sand, desert, rocks and mild mud with the IT rear, it was a no brainer.

You will love the Maxxis SI front! Total Confidence! :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 04, 2005 - 03:20 PM

That's not quite true. Although the tread pattern looks identical either way. They wear much faster if you mount them opposite to the arrow(I've found this out the hard way) I'm not saying you can't flip them after the one way is worn down, but if you start with the opposite direction the tire will shred fast.

Hmmmmmmmmm........... I noticed the arrow and have always mounted in that direction initially and you are right, every tire I have ever flipped seems to chunk away pretty fast but I thought it was just because of the reverse force on the knobs that had already seen the other direction. Good Info :banghead:

S-12's still get my endorsement for best Northwest tire. We tend to separate ourselves from the "West Coast". Infact, it's kind of funny for us to read articles that compare the tight and rocky east coast to the wide open west coast :banghead: We have the wettest and nastiest single track in America, I'm sure of it. Now Canada has some better stuff( by better, I mean tight and technical), but I don't get up there very often :lol: I think a trip is in order real soon. :lol:

• rushfan

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:35 PM

Well, I'm planning a trip to Stoneyford for Thanksgiving. I'm sure it'll be plenty wet, so I am look for the best combo. I won't ride in the rain, but I will ride when its muddy. So, after flipping the coin a dozen times, I might go with the SI front and the S12 rear. What do you guys think? :banghead:
Thanks for all of the help. :banghead:

• bluesbrother

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:44 PM

M12s on the front
IRC M5B on the back :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:46 PM

I think you are going to have a blast! Just be careful, the first S-12 I put on the rear hooked up alot better than I ever would have imagined and the sense of power was at a whole new level.:banghead::lol:

Get the 140, Michelin tends to run on the narrow side with their sizing, a 140 will fit nicely and it will definately send a message to anyone riding behind you :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.