Dialing in the '05's Jetting

15 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted October 02, 2005 - 11:54 AM

After my multi-month quest to get my '05 dialed, these are some things I've learned...BTW, my bike runs like a striped ape now with literally no bog or hesitation anywhere.

Things You Must Have:

• Indy450's Jetting Chart
  • Free Mods
  • AIS Removed
  • JD Jetting Kit
  • Main Jets - #160 thru #175
  • Pilot Jets - #42 - #50
  • Leak Jets - #0 - #60
  • Starter Jets - #65 - #72
  • Zip-Ty Fuel Screw
  • Zip-Ty Hot Start Carb Nut

Things That May Be Nice To Have

• Aftermarket Exhaust
  • Aftermarket Air Filter
  • Boyesen Quickshot
  • PowerNow, JamesNow, Etc.
  • Sendec Tach/Hourmeter

Things You Must Know
  • Do you have an exhaust leak?
  • Do you have an intake leak between the carb and the head?
  • Are the AIS ports properly blocked?
  • What are your current jet sizes...all of them?
  • What needle are you using and at what clip?
  • How many turns do you have on the fuel screw?
  • Is your float height correct?
  • Is your float operating properly?
  • Is your Accelerator Pump calibrated properly?
  • Is your hot start cable/plunger binding?
  • Is your choke working properly
  • Are your valves in spec?
  • Is your TPS connected or disconnected?
  • Do you have good gas, i.e. old, octane rating, contaminated?
  • Are your fuel pathways clean and clear?
  • Is your air filter clean?
  • Where is your idle set at?
  • What is the air temperature?
  • What is my average elevation?

Once you have all the "must have" items and can answer all the questions, then you can set it up properly. Simply refer to Indy's chart and you'll be in the ballpark at the very least. I've said it before, but I'll say it again...Indy's chart is damn near perfect. You may need to tweak it a tiny bit, i.e. more/less turns on the fuel screw or one change up/down on a jet size, but that's it.

One thing to remember is that each bike is always the smallest bit different than the next, so there truly are no absolutes. From my experiences, jetting issues are almost always the result of one factor. The trick is to figure out which one is :banghead: you up and fix it. Hopefully, this list will give you a step by step idea of things to look at and you can successfully figure out where your gremlin lives. BTW, mine turned out to be a sticking hot start cable and plunger. Once I re-routed the cable and lubed everthing from top to bottom, my problems melted away. Jetting Xanadu is out there...have patience and you'll discover it...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:15 PM

Good jetting points, Clark. :banghead: :applause: :lol:
Please keep in mind that all my jetting recommendations were done on the 03WR450 and there tends to be a slight variation between the FCR carbs from bike to bike even in the same year. A lot of good experience is posted on the current pinned jetting post. Good reading before posting jetting questions. :lol:

• clark4131

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Indy. I did take your chart and do a little tweaking of it from what I've found with my '05. However, it's like I said, a clip position here, a few more/less turns there and that's it. I think the slight de-tuning they did for the '05 and beyond is more than likely the reason for the minor differences...SC

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 05, 2005 - 01:35 PM

Great info- printing this one. thanks :banghead:

• dbailey223

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:27 PM

I'd like to set my idle at 1900 as suggested, but have never done that before. So, can you explain the process? What is a good tach to buy? How much is it? How is connected to the bike to get the reading? Thanks!

• Brian M

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:10 PM

great info. I have a question though on my '05. when at lower to mid RPM's I get a hesitation, but at any time I can grab a hand full of throttle and it's all there and she wants to scream. In 5th gear topped out the bike just wants to keep on pulling( I think I have the right main jet). I have to back out after a while because it starts to get too squirly. Is what I am experiencing normal or is it something I should worry about. Oh I almost forgot, if it is doing what I explained earlier and I grab another gear it runs smooth. Any suggestions?

• clark4131

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:11 PM

For tach info, read this thread...pics and everything!...SC

• Matty05

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:38 PM

great info. I have a question though on my '05. when at lower to mid RPM's I get a hesitation, but at any time I can grab a hand full of throttle and it's all there and she wants to scream. In 5th gear topped out the bike just wants to keep on pulling( I think I have the right main jet). I have to back out after a while because it starts to get too squirly. Is what I am experiencing normal or is it something I should worry about. Oh I almost forgot, if it is doing what I explained earlier and I grab another gear it runs smooth. Any suggestions?

if you look at a dyno sheet you will see that the power drops off up top so no
point holding it in gear untill rev limiter. If you "short shift" you will get to use
the torque curve which is a heap quicker and smoother way to ride!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Desracer

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:36 PM

So what jet and needle did you settle on? And with your current set up
what do you estimate your miles per gallon is? Use your center shroud bolt for 1/2 tank. The 05 is a different animal.

• billygoat

Posted October 05, 2005 - 06:56 PM

For setting the idle, you could use a reed type tach. Briggs and Stratton sells one for about $20-25. It's a length of wire that you dial in and out to select the test RPM and then you place it against the bike and rev it up. When the end of the wire goes crazy, you're at the dialed RPM. Very simple and never needs batteries. Many sound tests use this type of tach.

• yamageezer

Posted October 06, 2005 - 12:12 PM

Good jetting points, A lot of good experience is posted on the current pinned jetting post. Good reading before posting jetting questions. :lol:

Hey Indy, I just received my JD jetting kit, a 100paj, 40 leak, 48 & 50 pj, and I'm getting ready to jet away :banghead: :banghead: I've been trying to find the pinned jetting post and I cant find it. :lol: Can you or anyone please help a guy out.

• dbailey223

Posted October 06, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Elevation 0 to 4,000. feet

30 to 45 degrees: 172 main, JD Blue #5, 48 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 75 starter jet, #0 leak jet
45 to 60 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #0 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3 or JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet
90 degrees plus: 160 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Elevation 4,000 to 8,000 feet:

30 to 45 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #0 leak jet
45 to 60 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #40 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #50 leak jet
90 degrees plus: 160 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Elevation 8,000 to 11,000 feet: ( Note you will loose a lot of power due to altitude but your bike will idle and not foul plugs!)

45 to 60 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet
60 to 75 degrees: 160 main, JD Red #4 , 45 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet
75 to 90 degrees: 158 main, JD Red #3, 45 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

• clark4131

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:16 PM

The post you're looking for is the sticky one at the top of the forum..."JETTING D-Base WR400/426/450"...lots of folks have posted their settings along with bike model, temp, elevation etc. Very handy...SC

• yamageezer

Posted October 07, 2005 - 07:01 AM

Great, thanx guys, I had found that post before but, I thought maybe there was another one. Hey I put the jetting kit and all of the other jets in last night, she fired right up and ran real smooth, tonight I'll take her out for a spin around the pasture and see how it goes. :banghead: :banghead: Also thanx Indy for the table it's a good place to start. One last thing, on the JD kit instructions there is the YZ & the WR side. If I've cut the grey wire and am using the YZ timing curve, would I use the YZ directions? Right now I'm jetted to Indy's settings, they're real close to JD's. :lol:

• clark4131

Posted October 07, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Stick with the WR settings unless you advance your exhaust cam to YZ timing...SC

• yamageezer

Posted October 07, 2005 - 09:09 AM

10-4 thanks. Just wanted to make sure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.