What nice luck i have

8 replies to this topic
  • ThrakenH04

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:26 AM

Apparently the threading on the casing is stripped for the drain bolt. I hope i dont have to split the cases, what do i do to fix this nice problem of mine? I swear i dont know why they make these threads so weak when oil changes are at a constant.

• Pincushion

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:30 AM

Helicoil or Timesert. I've only used helicoils, but a lot of people will reccomend the Timesert. Be careful of metal shaving going in the cases if going to helicoil route.

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:43 AM

If you're very careful you can load the drill bit and tap up with grease and very carefully insert a helicoil or timesert (sp?). The grease should catch most of the metal shavings. Then with the drain plug removed, pour some oil in to the case through the flywheel cover to try to rinse out any tidbits that may have gotten in there.

Then go and get yourself a torque wrench! The drain plugs do not go tight at all, sounds like you over tightened it.

Posted October 02, 2005 - 08:03 AM

Use the helicoils. I used those on mine when I stripped the threads. I was overtightening it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2005 - 11:10 AM

• ThrakenH04

Posted October 02, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Funny you say that because i wont even touch that bolt without my torque wrench. Neither the one on the frame and i think that one is starting to give as well. Everything on my bike is starting to give and its only a year old. Just got done with putting 1500 into it, would hate to put even more especially when im about to get a 250F for racing. Also, GrayRacer, which one do i get? thanks for the link btw and thanks everyone for helping out.

• fast426

Posted October 02, 2005 - 06:14 PM

The dealer told me it strips from casting flashing coming loose at the end of the threads. When removed the metal gets on the threads and when you put the bolt back in galls up. I use Timeserts at work all the time and they are way better than helicoils. We had a huge install tool though. I don't know if Timesert makes do-it-yourself kit or not.

• ThrakenH04

Posted October 03, 2005 - 08:07 PM

Thanks, but which one do i get, im not too good with thread sizes.

• ThrakenH04

Posted October 04, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.