Fork height in triple clamp / Pinch bolt torque?

5 replies to this topic
  • Naru

Posted October 01, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Two unrelated questions that hopefully someone can answer. I didn't find either in search, but I could barely look because I'm running on a dialup at 26.4 presently :banghead: . Anywho,

1. Anyone have any recommendations for how high to run the forks in the top TC for an XR650r? I use the bike for high speed desert riding and DS'ing, so I figured I'd just run at stock height, but I'm sure at least one person has tested different heights here.
2. For the guys out there that use torque wrenches, what do you usually torque your upper and lower pinch bolts at on the XR650r forks? I switched over to a BRP upper and lower TC a while back and when I torqued to the 32 N*m low / 27 N*m high for the stock TC, I got some binding. Last time I just did it by feel after that, but I'd like to get some good numbers this time.

Thanks!

• BWB63

Posted October 01, 2005 - 09:33 PM

24 foot pounds for the bolts.
5mm above the triple clamp.

• bosshog

Posted October 01, 2005 - 09:48 PM

I agree with BWB on the 5mm hight. Infact I set my suspension using the instructions from his web site. :banghead: Works great for all the riding I do which includes everything from single track to fire roads with some DS thrown in as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Naru

Posted October 01, 2005 - 10:49 PM

Wow, well, I guess I'll try again, as 24ft*lb is the same as the 32 N*m I was using. Maybe the anti-seize on the bolts was throwing the value off? :banghead:

I'll try 5mm above the clamps. Thanks. :applause:

• BWB63

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I do not torque mine to the 24 foot pound the book calls for. I set the at more like 32 foot pounds. Not the best idea but, it works for me.

• Naru

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:33 PM

:banghead: Wow, and you don't get any binding?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.