Can't get oil plug out!

12 replies to this topic
  • dckgmiller

Posted October 01, 2005 - 04:01 PM

:banghead:

I can't the dam oil plug out of my 01' WR426. The one on the frame came out no problem. I bought the bike used a couple months ago. This is my first oil change.

The bolt rounded off, then I tried vise grips.... the bolt head is literally coming off in pieces. Is this plug aluminum?

I got to the point were I didn’t want to booger it up any more. I pulled the cover off the oil filter, pulled the oil strainer and disconnected the engine oil hose. Drained as much as could and refilled. I put in about 44 oz of new oil. I figure I got about a 80% oil change.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any chance I take it to the shop they can get it out?

Thanks,
Don

• sampaul245

Posted October 01, 2005 - 04:55 PM

Give the plug acouple of firm hits with a hammer then try again...

• SPDFRK450

Posted October 01, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Sounds like you need a tap and die set. You can pick up a tap and die set at a hardware store. It consists of a set of metal drill bits, and special screw lookin things. They have left hand threads, so when you tighten they loosen the bolt. You drill a hole right down teh middle of the bolt. If I were you I would get a new oil plug off of rockymountianmc.com. They have Moose magnetic ones for cheap. Check it out. Thats what I did. The last thing you want to do is eyeball anything on a bike like your oil for instance. You want to do everything by the book, and dont deviate from the plan.

• Gadsen

Posted October 01, 2005 - 06:53 PM

Give the plug acouple of firm hits with a hammer then try again...

I second that exactly! Now careful, dont cave in the gearbox, just a nice couple of firm wraps is all!

• Rooster426

Posted October 01, 2005 - 07:06 PM

or you can buy some bolt extractors from craftsman. They aren't cheap though. I think a set of about 5 runs about $40 bucks at Sears. It's basically a socket that fits on your standard rachet, but has a pattern that bites into stripped out bolts. Good luck...

• yz_for_me

Posted October 01, 2005 - 07:23 PM

or you can buy some bolt extractors from craftsman. They aren't cheap though. I think a set of about 5 runs about $40 bucks at Sears. It's basically a socket that fits on your standard rachet, but has a pattern that bites into stripped out bolts. Good luck...

I second that. The Craftsman set works Awsome. I've used it several times and it has always worked perfectly. In fact I bought it for the exact same reason. Same as you, I destroyed the head of the drain bolt on my 426 the first time I changed the oil. I tried everything short of an Easy-Out. Nothing worked until I found the Craftsman set. Worked slicker than snot.

Here's a link so you can see what they look like. Craftsman 10 pc. Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set, Low Profile Bolt-Out

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smokin529

Posted October 01, 2005 - 07:54 PM

You could also try a 1/4" left handed drill bit from the Snap On truck. I had the same problem on my old 400. You run the drill in reverse, I only made it half way into the bolt when it came out.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 01, 2005 - 07:59 PM

You could also try a 1/4" left handed drill bit from the Snap On truck. I had the same problem on my old 400. You run the drill in reverse, I only made it half way into the bolt when it came out.

Sounds like a good way to get er' done :banghead: but also a wrist breaker if you your using a strong drill motor :applause:

• griffithds

Posted October 02, 2005 - 09:19 AM

I second that. The Craftsman set works Awsome. I've used it several times and it has always worked perfectly. In fact I bought it for the exact same reason. Same as you, I destroyed the head of the drain bolt on my 426 the first time I changed the oil. I tried everything short of an Easy-Out. Nothing worked until I found the Craftsman set. Worked slicker than snot.

Here's a link so you can see what they look like. Craftsman 10 pc. Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set, Low Profile Bolt-Out

Thanks for the link. I didn't write the thread but have had the same problem Don't need one now but sure needed one in the past. I went ahead and ordered at set. Thanks again!

• xr_man

Posted October 02, 2005 - 09:49 AM

when ya get it out...put a BMW car sump plug in ....same thread as yam, but bigger stronger head on it !!!

• Bamster

Posted October 02, 2005 - 11:14 AM

But a Moose magnetic plug when you get out.

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 05, 2005 - 01:41 PM

44 ounces of oil? Did they have higher capacity in the earlier years?

I try to only use 6 point sockets on drain plugs- less prone to buggering heads...

Good luck on the extraction, hopefully you will be able to get it without damaging threads in engine case. Have you already tried soaking with PB blaster and applying moderate heat from a propane torch? Then you can hit with hammer, using socket between hammer and bolt, to help break it loose.

• RichBaker

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:46 PM

Sounds like you need a tap and die set. You can pick up a tap and die set at a hardware store. It consists of a set of metal drill bits, and special screw lookin things. They have left hand threads, so when you tighten they loosen the bolt. You drill a hole right down teh middle of the bolt. If I were you I would get a new oil plug off of rockymountianmc.com. They have Moose magnetic ones for cheap. Check it out. Thats what I did. The last thing you want to do is eyeball anything on a bike like your oil for instance. You want to do everything by the book, and dont deviate from the plan.

These would be screw extractors, NOT a tap and die set...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.