Draining the carburator on YZ450

5 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted October 01, 2005 - 05:04 AM

First apologies if this is a repost. I did a search but can't find any post that actually says how to do this..

I have also looked in the manual and either I am not reading it correctly or it is just kind of hidden amongst the other information there.

I want to be able to loosen a screw and drain the carburator on my YZ450 without removing the carby or anything drastic like that..

As there are lots of adjustment screws etc. I want to make sure I get the correct one..

Can anybody explain clearly or with pictures how I can drain the carby without removing it?

• 02YZ426

Posted October 01, 2005 - 05:35 AM

Not sure if the 450 is the same, but on my 426 there is an allen head bolt on the side of the float bowl right at the bottom.. I just back it off a turn and the fuel drains out a gas line at the bottom of the bike. Make sure you shut your fuel off or you will be waiting a while for it to drain :banghead:

• YZLEE

Posted October 01, 2005 - 07:59 AM

There is also a big plug on the bottom, it takes a 17 mm wrench. That drains the fuel quick! But, that's on a 426. I'm not sure about those new-fangled 450's. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2005 - 08:15 AM

The 450 is the same in both respects, at least, my '03 is.

• BergArabia

Posted October 01, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Thanks guys..
Sorry for being dumb but this will save me opening the wrong screw... :banghead:

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted October 02, 2005 - 07:38 AM

Use a 17mm box end wrench- discover the location of the 17mm bolt at the bottom of the float bowl on the carb., loosen, let drain, then tighten.

Voila! Your carb is drained.

For future reference if you don't use an inexpensive inline fuel filter between the tank and fuel inlet on the carb (everyone should for cheap insurance), you can check the cleanliness of the fuel you run by completely removing this 17mm bolt. By doing this you'll discover the bolts recessed area also catches SOME of the chunky stuff in your fuel as the aggregate, dirt, and sediment falls out of suspension.

My fuel is not

Dirty

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.