Can you kick your bike over without decompression lever

18 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

Posted October 01, 2005 - 01:06 AM

When i first got my bike i could not push the starter down past top dead center without using the decompression lever. Now it has 400klm's on it i find i can just kick it past although it is not easy. Is this normal. Does everyone have to use the decompression lever? Has my motor just freed up a bit? :banghead:

• Mark_Bear

Posted October 01, 2005 - 03:03 AM

Ditto for me too, not sure what is normal but I noticed the exact same thing with mine. I just figured my kicking leg got used to it !!!

I'm not quite sure how to get it started using the auto-decompresser, seems to take a lot of kicking and not much action. I have much better success using the just after TDC...and kick.

• ImpalaR1

Posted October 01, 2005 - 08:32 AM

The way that make's it start first kick most the time for me is to pull the decompresser lever in and kick through slowy twice, then let the lever out and use the just after TDC kick and it starts almost every time that way. And if the kickstart gets stuck i just pull the lever again and try again.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 01, 2005 - 09:01 AM

i guess i wouldnt know.....e start suckers!

• ImpalaR1

Posted October 01, 2005 - 10:25 AM

girl....... :banghead:

• Mikie1

Posted October 01, 2005 - 11:43 AM

The auto decompressor only works if the engine kicks back- it's like a one-way clutch that opens one exhaust valve slightly, but only when the motor starts to turn backward. It does nothing otherwise. If you engine kicks through easier then it's time to adjust the valves.

• BWB63

Posted October 01, 2005 - 02:26 PM

The auto decompressor only works if the engine kicks back- it's like a one-way clutch that opens one exhaust valve slightly, but only when the motor starts to turn backward. It does nothing otherwise. If you engine kicks through easier then it's time to adjust the valves.

The auto decompresser assembly is made of three parts. The decompresser cam, the reverse decompresser cam, and the decompression clutch. The clutch does drag up to about 500+ rpm and opens the exhaust valve slightly releasing compression. Run your rpm real low and you will hear it start clicking. I never used the decompression lever (I took it off the bike brand new) till I went to a cam without an auto decompression unit. Now I have to use a decompression lever. The Unit works much better (pushes open the wxhaust valve more) if the enige starts to move backwards. Once you take the auto decompression unit apart you can see that springs and roller pins keep it locked in decompression mode till it starts spinning forward fast enough. That is why when adjusting the valves you can not pass TDC or the auto decompression unit will start pushing on the left exhaust valve. [COLOR=DarkRed]With the stock cam you do not need the decompression lever to start the bike.[/COLOR]
Your auto decompression unit wasn't freed up at first, now it is working and you will only need the decompression lever to kick the engine over freely to clear the extra fuel after you dump the bike.
Sorry if I dashed the thought that you guy's were kicking over the full compression of the XR650R without the decompression lever. You are not. The only way the electric start works on the XL650L is because of auto decompression. It takes everything I have, jumping on the kick starter on my bike to kick through the compression stroke! Without the auto decompression unit. Jay Lewis makes it look easier with 280 pounds. It was a major fight for Barnum, I just couldn't do it (185 pounds) so, I put the decompression lever back on.

• Fordskin

Posted October 01, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for that guys. I just thought i may have screwed the motor some how during run in. Seems it is normal. The bike if anything seems to be getting better[power wise] with more klm's on it. :banghead:

• Winkel

Posted October 01, 2005 - 06:39 PM

I'm not even sure how to use the decompression lever to start the bike. I mainly use it to clear the bike after I've dumped it. I sometimes use it to "prime" the bike before starting. Just kick it. Mine does seem easier now too, after about 1200 miles, and my valves are adjusted properly.

Winkel

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bosshog

Posted October 01, 2005 - 09:37 PM

I too have never used the lever except to clear after a fall. I love the auto decompresser. I've had a couple of other large thumpers that had a particular starting procedure that may have included sacrificing a chicken and/or making sure the bike was facing Mecca. The 650r is a dream to start compaired to others. I'm getting better at starting it after dumping it. But why is it that I can never be on level ground when this happens? :banghead:

• pbusanga

Posted October 03, 2005 - 05:16 AM

[quote name='BWB63']Your auto decompression unit wasn't freed up at first, now it is working and you will only need the decompression lever to kick the engine over freely to clear the extra fuel after you dump the bike.
QUOTE]

Hi i am having the same problem. i had never ridden a thumper before so i assumed i had to use the manual decompression lever after TDC to start bike (starts easily) if i try to start bike without manual lever it is like kicking against a wall.. no way can i get it past TDC. from your explanation sounds like my autodecompressor is not working (sticking). the bike is a 2004 model with only 100miles on clock. how can i free up auto decompression. i am about to do the first valve adjusment and oil change. there is a clincking (not ticking as in valves) noise in top end could this be part of decompression system. the problem i have is that this is the onlt XR650R in Ghana so i have nothing to compare it to

thanks for any help

• BWB63

Posted October 03, 2005 - 10:08 AM

I think or guess or just have no clue but, I think once the auto decompression unit is used, needed what ever, as in if the engine spins backwards, till the auto decompression unit fully engages it won't start working till then. Right after that it should work fine.

• pbusanga

Posted October 04, 2005 - 12:48 AM

I think or guess or just have no clue but, I think once the auto decompression unit is used, needed what ever, as in if the engine spins backwards, till the auto decompression unit fully engages it won't start working till then. Right after that it should work fine.

hi i have not dismantled the auto decopm but from the manual they are two separate cams (auto decomp and reverse decomp). the auto decomp sticking should not be affected by the necessity of the reverse decomp being used.(does this make sense...?)

off topic saw a clip of the new KTM SM 900 in action not much heavier than BRP with 96HP at rear wheel ..awesome but i still love my BRP.

cheers

• SONODROOPY

Posted October 05, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Have never used mine on the XR6. Can't figure out what it is for anyway. Usually kicks over on the first or second kick when cold and second or third when hot. And hey it never kicks back. :banghead:

• Fordskin

Posted October 06, 2005 - 04:17 AM

TO Busanga: My bike had about 300klm"s on it before it free'd up.{ if that what happened} Seems to come good after you start to really hammer the bike. It was either that or when i was playing with the mixture screw it was backfiring a lot so that maybe did something.There was no way i could kick past TDC without the deco lever before that. :banghead:

• TimBrp

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:43 AM

I kick mine till it get to the hard spart, TDC and then I use the lever to go an inch or so past it then back up and get a full swing at it without the decompressor. Lights up first kick everytime unless cold or after a dump.

• captb

Posted October 06, 2005 - 11:58 AM

hi i have not dismantled the auto decopm but from the manual they are two separate cams (auto decomp and reverse decomp). the auto decomp sticking should not be affected by the necessity of the reverse decomp being used.(does this make sense...?)

off topic saw a clip of the new KTM SM 900 in action not much heavier than BRP with 96HP at rear wheel ..awesome but i still love my BRP.

cheers

It's a little more weight 150 pounds more.

• XRsteve

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:44 PM

My buddy has a 86 XR600. And the answer for that is NO! The bike has the early cable-from-the-kickstart decompression system and it doesn't work very well. The top end is nice and tight, with low miles on a new cylinder and piston. It's kinda hard to start but once you do, it sure runs strong.

• gnnova

Posted October 07, 2005 - 09:16 AM

You can use the decompression lever to start the bike by pulling it in and letting it go just as your reaching the limit of the kickstarter. My XR650R starts the first or secound kick everytime. My auto kick starter does not seem to work with the valves adjusted properly. If I run the adjustment a little tight it seems to work ok but don't like that for fear of burning a valve.

Ken

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.