reserve on a yz you guys should do this

26 replies to this topic
  • darksun27

Posted October 02, 2005 - 09:06 PM

What do you mean by gain you much? gaining fuel capacity isnt the point of this. the point of it is if you forget to fill up or start to run low on gas. ( A rather be safe than sorry scenario) And so everyone knows let me explain how the reserve works on it. Ok you start out with a full tank of gas, with the gas turned onto the "on" position. After riding for a while the gas level gets below the golden part on the long tube wich then dosent allow gas to reach your carb wich will cause your bike to shut off. Then you know that you need to fill up with more gas. So then you swich to "reserve" wich opens up the short tube at the bottom of the tank and allows you to use the rest of the gas in the tank to get back to somewhere where you can fill back up.

• darksun27

Posted October 02, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Ohh and by the way the thing that sparked this idea for me (if your wondering) is when i went to Hatfeild Mccoy this summer. I was riding with 2 other guys, I was on my yz 426, the other 2 guys had a 426 and a 450. We got allway to the very backside on a single track trail and the guy on the 450 ran completely out because he forgot to fill up. Since yz's have no reserve on them we had to ride a hour back to town, then a hour back to him, then a hour back to town to bring him some gas and get back before dark. As we spent the rest of our day bringing him some gas i thought why not put a reserve on yz's . then the idea was born

• Slowmotion426

Posted October 03, 2005 - 01:51 AM

I just strap 2 five gallons jugs of gasoline to my back. I never run out of gas in the woods. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MAZMAN

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:15 AM

this idea is great, i was just about to ask in a thread on this, as on the weekend, i went riding on the sands, was having such a great time that i didnt bother checking the tank and thought i would have enough fuel, i was wrong.
Bike stoped on me and my buddy had to ride about 2 miles to get me some fuel, as you can imagine, pushing teh bike on sand is damn hard.
Now if i had reserve, it would of came on, i would of flicked the switch and went back to base to fill up, then back out again and not waist almost an hour for the stuff up.

Now what i wanna ask is, can i use any petcock of a wr model for my yz400f 99? i know this is teh ttr one, but im not worried about the wr price, so if any1 could tell me wich year model wr petcock i would have to get to fit a 99 yz400 would be appreciated.
cheers :banghead:

• fast426

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:35 AM

I just strap 2 five gallons jugs of gasoline to my back. I never run out of gas in the woods. :applause:

I used to do that till I bit dirt at 50 mph and one burst open as I was rolling on top of my bike. Thankfully it did'nt light up, can we say molotov cocktail?
Ever have to ride 30km with gas running down the crack of your A$$?. Can we say monkey butt? :banghead: Won't ever do that again.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted October 03, 2005 - 05:37 AM

this idea is great, i was just about to ask in a thread on this, as on the weekend, i went riding on the sands, was having such a great time that i didnt bother checking the tank and thought i would have enough fuel, i was wrong.
Bike stoped on me and my buddy had to ride about 2 miles to get me some fuel, as you can imagine, pushing teh bike on sand is damn hard.
Now if i had reserve, it would of came on, i would of flicked the switch and went back to base to fill up, then back out again and not waist almost an hour for the stuff up.

Now what i wanna ask is, can i use any petcock of a wr model for my yz400f 99? i know this is teh ttr one, but im not worried about the wr price, so if any1 could tell me wich year model wr petcock i would have to get to fit a 99 yz400 would be appreciated.
cheers :banghead:

Any WR250/400/426 fuel tap from '98 - '02 will fit your YZ400F tank. Not sure about WR450 fuel taps, they may fit too?

• MAZMAN

Posted October 04, 2005 - 04:46 AM

awsome, thanks for the info mate :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.