Really struggling for ideas!

6 replies to this topic
  • Wayne Humphreys

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:36 AM

2002 xr650r,uncorked,new 68s/175,b53e middle position, will only run on half choke, idles on no choke, engine dies over 1/4 throttle. Someone point me in the right direction!!!
Has anyone had a BRP which only runs on half choke?
Thanks

• TimBrp

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:11 PM

You don't have anything stuck in your airbox or air passage to the carb right?
Carbs been completely cleaned up and no blockages in there?
What is your elevation?

• Wayne Humphreys

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:19 PM

Sea level and nothing in the carb, have stripped and cleaned at least 5 times in the last week!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted September 30, 2005 - 01:22 PM

Interesting problem. When it dies does it sound like it's leaning out to the point of stalling? Does the engine seem unusually hot? Maybe right after the engine dies pull the plus and see what it looks like.

* Just had an idea!!!!! Last year during a trip to Mojave my bike had been running great then stalled when I opened the throttle. It was hard to start and when it did run it only ran at idle. MY problem was, and it's certainly worth you checking, was the two screws that hold the linkage to the throttle slide in the venturi of the carb. That's why it only ran at idle and died when I tried to twist the throttle. Give it a try - it's worth checking.

• TimBrp

Posted September 30, 2005 - 02:52 PM

What's your float height at?

• captb

Posted September 30, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Your not missing # 17 on this diagram are you, that would put the needle jet way to deep and it would be lean.
http://www.ronayers..../carburetor.cfm

• Wayne Humphreys

Posted October 01, 2005 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for all the advise guys, finally realised what the problem was and feel a complete prat, For some reason I convinced myself that the choke lever was off in the top position and kept trying to jet based on that, spent the best part of $100 in new parts too! I'm 41, an engineer by trade and have had bikes since I was 10. The bike was bought as a stolen/recovered and just looked for a problem where there wasn't one. Mental block I guess!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.