Nevada dual sport conversion licensing to-do's?

11 replies to this topic
  • dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:50 AM


Anybody done a dual sport conversion and tried to license the bike in Nevada? I called DMV to ask their requirements, and their helpful advice (not!) was to do what I thought best then bring it in for the inspection and they'd then tell me what to fix. Like I want to stand in line for 3 hours twice!

  • clark4131

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:58 AM


Brake/running light, Two mirrors, Hi-Lo headlight, front/rear turn signals w/ front running lights, horn, speedometer, plate light. Nevada wants everything...SC

  • dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:45 PM


Gotcha. Thanks. I was planning on everything except the speedo, which is not included in the Trick kit if I recall?

I assume DOT tires too?

Will the flush mount rear turn signals be OK or do they have to be DOT ones on a stem?

  • jerryls

Posted October 01, 2005 - 03:00 PM


Here's the requirements: http://www.leg.state...RS/NRS-486.html
Go to the "Operation and equipment" section.

I think the DMV has some form you have to pick up and take to a mechanic to fill out (something about working brakes and lights).


  • dbailey223

Posted October 03, 2005 - 08:48 AM


Thanks jerryls, I actually checked the NRS first and was surprised that it didn't mention DOT tire, speedo, etc. THe form you mention is a new one--I'll have to check on that. Thanks!

  • clark4131

Posted October 03, 2005 - 09:15 AM


A friend of mine just DS'd his XR600 and all he did was take the bike and the form to the local dealer who signed off on it. Then he took it in to the DMV and that was it...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted October 03, 2005 - 10:31 AM


SC, Do you happen to know what he had on the bike? Speedo, DOT tires, etc? Of course, I'd like to go as minimal as possible because of the cost and because I'm mainly looking at dual sporting it to be legal on the road as I cruise between trails, not to ride it as an everyday road bike where I would be more concerned about safety features (bigger blinkers, bigger mirrors, etc.)

  • clark4131

Posted October 03, 2005 - 11:26 AM


From what I understand, DOT tires are not required. Here's a list of state by state requirements...SC

  • dbailey223

Posted October 03, 2005 - 11:56 AM


Cool! As long as the rules haven't changed since 1998 when the chart was put out, I'm ready!

  • bwsully1

Posted October 03, 2005 - 06:56 PM


Just a follow up to request of Bailey223
A couple months back I paid cash (no taxes, no CA reg) for a 05 WR450 by doing this I was able to have my buddys mom who lives in Henderson, NV sign as the reg. owner of this bike. Then I paid taxes and reg. fees and got my NV plates. Sure she's the title owner (75 yrs old, not likly she's gonna ride anytime soon) but I finally got a bike that I can ride here in CA without any problems. She also insured for me under her name. That's one coooool mom.

1, Put your DOT approved lighting kit on (mirror, horn, turn signals, running and brake lights. (no speedo was required, no questions about tires)
2, Get the DMV inspection form that is needed by your local motorcycle shop to sign-off.
3, Go back to DMV and get bike inspected prior to getting back in line
4, Once that inspection is complete, go inside and get your plates

  • dbailey223

Posted October 04, 2005 - 07:50 AM


Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I should be good to go

  • byggd

Posted October 04, 2005 - 11:33 AM


Back when CA was allowing conversions a speedo was only required if the bike originally come with one.


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.