Advice on DOT tire for WR 450

12 replies to this topic
  • dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:39 AM

What's a good DOT approved tire for a WR 450 that is making the conversion to a dual sport? I'd like one that still can handle off road well, but meets DOT requirements to get the bike licensed?

• simon@vic

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:40 AM

put on any old DOT tires you can find for the inspection.
after that run real off road tires. maxiss IT front and rear work very well off and on road!!!

• aflick

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:50 AM

I used the Pirelli MT21 for both front and rear. I like the front, it seams to handle well. I am not sure about the rear, it tends to not grip very well in loose-gravel conditions. I will try something different next time. I heard that the Bridgestone ED668 BW TT (Rear) and ED663 BW TT (Front) work well in loose-sandy stuff. may try these next.

• Rooster426

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:19 AM

I use dunlops 606 tires (dot approved) front and rear. You can't even tell the difference...they look exactly like any other dirtbike tire.

• Matty05

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:21 PM

I use dunlops 606 tires (dot approved) front and rear. You can't even tell the difference...they look exactly like any other dirtbike tire.

I have a 606 on the rear of mine, it lasts for ages. I am going to change it
this week and it has done about 1600kms (1000 miles).

They are not bad, but don't hook up like MX tyres. I've got a set of Dunlop 952's
to go on my bike. I have found the 606 does not come in a size wide enough.

• katoom525sx

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:59 PM

put on any old DOT tires you can find for the inspection.
after that run real off road tires. maxiss IT front and rear work very well off and on road!!!

On my set of maxis IT I got last year they did not even say "not for highway use " on them

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rooster426

Posted October 01, 2005 - 07:14 PM

I have a 606 on the rear of mine, it lasts for ages. I am going to change it
this week and it has done about 1600kms (1000 miles).

They are not bad, but don't hook up like MX tyres. I've got a set of Dunlop 952's
to go on my bike. I have found the 606 does not come in a size wide enough.

Yeah, you do have a point. I feel it hooks up fine, but everyone behind me tells me that its like being sprayed my a machine gun when I roll on the throttle :banghead: , not that I care too much ha ha. But I do wish it was a tad wider. However you are right, the tire last foreeeeeever. I have close to 700 miles on mine, and I will definately squeeze 1 or 2 more rides out of it.

• Bamster

Posted October 02, 2005 - 05:29 AM

You won't find a better rear dot tire than the Kenda trackmaster for off road use. :banghead: :applause: :lol:
Don't put one on the front. :lol:

• slotracer577

Posted October 03, 2005 - 08:46 PM

What's a good DOT approved tire for a WR 450 that is making the conversion to a dual sport? I'd like one that still can handle off road well, but meets DOT requirements to get the bike licensed?

I have run the MT 44 front with a trackmaster rear. A good combination. The trackmaster tends to chunk if you ride rocks and the MT 44 will eventually loose its side knobs, but they last about the same as a dunlop 756.

• k69mj

Posted October 04, 2005 - 02:34 AM

Try Michelin Enduro Comp MS front and Enduro Comp III rear.

• jonova

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:46 AM

I use a D606 rear and MT18 HD up front and can't be happier. I run them on the street, baja and even race with em. The D606 come in a 130/90/18.

• UltraHyper

Posted October 04, 2005 - 11:32 AM

Well i'm using Kenda traxx master front and rear for the price can't complain but i do find the front has poor traction

• Matty05

Posted October 05, 2005 - 04:24 AM

I use a D606 rear and MT18 HD up front and can't be happier. I run them on the street, baja and even race with em. The D606 come in a 130/90/18.

Oh, I only got a 120 on the back. A 130 would have been alot better!

I have changed to Dunlop 952's now, although not DOT tyres, I now have grip
in the dirt again!

I think they are not going to last long if I use them on the road too much.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.