My XR650L SUCKS! It won't start, and I can't get the spark plug out...

7 replies to this topic
  • 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:05 AM

how the hell do you get the spark plug out? I removed the seat and tank and still couldn't get it out, what size socket do you need, cause the socket I use on every other spark plug out there doesn't loosen it at all!

Now I'm missing classes today cause of this stupid bike.

• TimBrp

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Dude if you need help getting a spark plug out, sell the bike and stay in school. J/K

On a serious note, It's an 18mm socket I believe and it's damn tight quarters on that head. You may have to buy the socket and scuff it down to fit right.

• TahomaTom

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:38 AM

Go to Honda and buy a spark plug puller. Its cheap and you shoudl have one with you when you ride anyway.

It is pretty tight and all my sockets were to thick to fit correctly around the plug.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Did the bike come with the toolkit?
With the plug tool in the kit, its pretty easy.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:23 AM

yeah only the stock one will work...or a replacement from a moto shop. drive down to PB and i'll give yoou a hand, oh wait it wont start...well offer stands anyways, oh and my roomate is a technician so maybe he can help...

• mgs781

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:34 PM

yeah only the stock one will work...or a replacement from a moto shop. drive down to PB and i'll give yoou a hand, oh wait it wont start...well offer stands anyways, oh and my roomate is a technician so maybe he can help...

I use a Craftsman. Any auto spark plug socket will work.

MGS

• TahomaTom

Posted September 30, 2005 - 02:18 PM

"I use a Craftsman. Any auto spark plug socket will work."

I disagree the one tried first was a friends Snap On and would not clear enough to grab the plug.

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 30, 2005 - 03:30 PM

Bought the thin wall socket, MUCH easier to get out with the right socket hahaha!

Turns out the spark plug cable had some sort of problem, when I put pressure on it in certain directions it fired right up. Of course, when I tested the plug it always sparked, must have been a coincident, cause everytime I put the plug back in the bike wouldn't turn over.

I pulled the cap off the spark plug cable and pulled the wire out a little more, so far so good! I'm starting to know more about this bike than most should ever have to know...but it's good!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.