Fork Seals - What grease???

3 replies to this topic
  • MLN

Posted March 24, 2001 - 10:08 PM

I have a 01 WR and have one awsome ride on it so far.

My question is what type of grease should I use between the fork oil seals and dust covers. The manual states a "lithium soap base grease" but I can't find any such grease.

• Russ_P

Posted March 24, 2001 - 03:04 PM

The grease you are looking for is White Lithium grease. Lubriplate is one brand I know of. It's a lightwieght grease that any
good auto store should carry. It should be easier to find the grease than it will be to get the seals out of there seats without damaging anything. Be carfull you use a tool that won't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted March 24, 2001 - 04:43 PM

I've been using and recommending Silkolene RG2 for quite a while for almost everything including my fork seals. It is waterproof and has a high melting point. Good stuff. I've had great success packing the heck out of that area, so much that it squeezes out when you replace the dust seal.

Good luck!

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• motoman393

Posted March 25, 2001 - 10:45 PM

I just use "plain ole" vasoline and it works great...I have used this method for about 3 yrs and havent had to replace fork seals but only once a year (which is common maintainence when you ride MX twice a week every week!) The purpose of grease or vasoline is to act as another barrier so dirt doesnt get in the seals! So any axle grease will work fine also (i have also used this too) Im sure you also now the method of using a film negative (or a feeler gauge) to clean the seals, right? Hope this helps!

I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.