Dual sporting a WR 450

13 replies to this topic
  • dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:52 AM

To add rear blinkers to a 03 WR 450, Dale at Trick said to pick some up at a local store and to mount them through the WR's rear fender. His other alternative is to buy an $80 piece he has and add that to a YZ rear fender. He recommends the first alternative.

Anybody done that and had good luck, and if so, what type of blinkers did you use? I want the blinkers to not be flimsy, and it seems like bolting them to the rear WR fender wouldn't give them a lot of support.

• JETMAGNUM

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Im Going To Tag Along I Have An 04 And Im Curious Because I Want To Do The Same Thing.

• aflick

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:42 AM

I have an 04 that I used the flush mount type for the rear blinkers. I bought them from Baha Designs. They could be mounted with double sided tape or with some small bolts. I chose to use the tape to get through inspection, surprisingly 1000 miles later they are still stuck there. I will try to post a picture.

• dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:47 AM

Wow, must be good tape!

• simon@vic

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:53 AM

i too used flush mounts the the rear fender. cheapo sport bike ones. didn't think they would last but they did. i beat the $hit out of my bike daily and they still have not smashed. :banghead:

keep in mind the head light, tail light, and the brake switch you add are all run on 12v AC power. you will need to get 12v DC power for the flasher relay. you can tap into un switched DC power from on of the red wires that go to your push button ignition switch.

• dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:59 AM

To clarify, by "flush mounts" do you mean the blinkers are bolted or attached right to the rear fender and do not have extensions to stick them out a distance from the fender?

• simon@vic

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:21 AM

yes you got it. use the long screws and washers that come with them AND the sticky foam pad!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for the info. Shopping time.

• beakr

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Here's a post that I used to model my dual-sport conversion on. Minion even posted his parts list. I used the same rear-signals and they work fine, although I don't have any off-road time on them yet so I can't speak to how well they'll hold up, but they seem like they'll be fine.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=254879

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I used the "stalk type" turn signals, like what comes stock on a Suzuki DRZ. I got them from Dale @ TrickDualSport. I mounted them to the rear fender and ran the wires under the fender up to the wires in the kit under the seat. I did break one off last spring when I was doing trail maintainence. I went down when I hit a small tree across the trail and my chainsaw kind of just cut it off.(thats what saws are for, right?????????? :banghead: I picked up a new set from my local bike accessories store. They are made by K&S.
Jim

• WR450F_RDR

Posted September 30, 2005 - 02:06 PM

I am using flush mount front and rear, better so you dont knock them off while woods riding. I found mine here www.tricktape.com

• dbailey223

Posted September 30, 2005 - 02:20 PM

Which type, wr450f_rdr? Their website has type 1 through type 4. http://www.tricktape...TS&Category=321

• WR450F_RDR

Posted September 30, 2005 - 06:47 PM

Front - type III Flush Mount
Rear - type I Flush Mount
here at least in Oregon- Amber or red toward the rear and amber toward the front on turn signals.
Also I would recommend getting extra bulbs because I have not been able to find them local, might be a negative reason to use another type but I ordered bulbs and had them in a couple days.

• jmooremtb

Posted October 07, 2005 - 07:36 PM

I did break one off last spring when I was doing trail maintainence. I went down when I hit a small tree across the trail and my chainsaw kind of just cut it off.(thats what saws are for, right?????????? :banghead: I picked up a new set from my local bike accessories store. They are made by K&S.
Jim

Isn't there a warning sticker somewhere on the bike that says something about riding your motorcycle while operating a chain saw?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.