New bike

29 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted September 29, 2005 - 12:29 PM

Today I take delievery of my 06 450EXC :applause:
The initial test ride on the street was great, felt like a 125 in the handling compartment compared to my 426. Did I mention how thin it is? or how light it is? or how low the c of G is? :banghead: I'll keep u guys posted.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 29, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Today I take delievery of my 06 450EXC :lol:
The initial test ride on the street was great, felt like a 125 in the handling compartment compared to my 426. Did I mention how thin it is? or how light it is? or how low the c of G is? :applause: I'll keep u guys posted.

Or how much the engine revs like a tractor?

Did you look at the new XC's? I guess the 450 is an over square cylinder, (bore is greater than stroke), thats the orange bike that I would like to try. My Wr400 has a short stroke motor and it revs like no ones business. I really miss that in my 450.

Good luck on the KTM, I don't really know much about them, it's hard to really get a sense of what their all about when you pass them like they are standing still :banghead:

• rushfan

Posted September 29, 2005 - 06:24 PM

Did you look at the new XC's? I guess the 450 is an over square cylinder, (bore is greater than stroke), thats the orange bike that I would like to try. My Wr400 has a short stroke motor and it revs like no ones business. I really miss that in my 450.

Good luck on the KTM, I don't really know much about them, it's hard to really get a sense of what their all about when you pass them like they are standing still :banghead:

lol...and good luck with the maintenance. I hear changing the oil is a chore. And all of those valve adjustments... :applause:

• Hamish

Posted September 30, 2005 - 04:01 AM

you pass ktm's on your WR?? LOL what happens when you get to a corner :lol:
Regearding maintainance, I'd rather have a bike with SS valves. nothing like a valve and seat job to get your head to as new condidtion again. Ahh, and the fact that you dont have to throw the crank away when the timing chain wears out the bottom sprocket is also a bonus :applause:
I knew there would be ppl that knock me for my choice, each to their own I say :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted September 30, 2005 - 04:07 AM

Congrats on your new bike!

I would have gone the 525 as they are the same size, but that is just me.
My next bike will most likely be KTM too.

• Hamish

Posted September 30, 2005 - 05:02 AM

thanks Mat,
the 450 'should' be a bit more flickable due to less inertia of the lighter crank/piston assembly. 90% of my riding is tight technical stuff where HP isnt an issue. And 'flickability' is why I got a new bike after all as there is nothing wrong with the power of my 426.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 30, 2005 - 05:28 AM

Each to their own is right :banghead:

• MotoGoalie

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Today I take delievery of my 06 450EXC :lol:
The initial test ride on the street was great, felt like a 125 in the handling compartment compared to my 426. Did I mention how thin it is? or how light it is? or how low the c of G is? :applause: I'll keep u guys posted.

Today you took delivery and shortly thereafter it appears you got lost.

The KTM forum is down the road a bit, next to the bank and across the street from the mechanics shop.

Good luck. Don't get lost again my fliend. :banghead:

• Hurricane

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:18 AM

What kind of replies did you expect to get on the WR forum when you come in talking sh!t about your new ktm? I personally like ktms but I don't trust them enough to buy one. I have 3 friends that have them, 00' 250mxc, 00' 400exc, & 04' 525exc, and all of them have had problems. You really have to enjoy changing fork seals to own those things, they do it on a regular basis.

• Hamish

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:34 AM

I didnt come on here to 'talk it up' , merely yo inform my friends of this forum of my new ride.
I still own 2 yamahas.
I'm not saying the ktm is going to be problem free.
ALL racing 4 strokes will have their share of problems, regardless of colour.
Anyone that thinks their brand is above the others is dreaming.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hurricane

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:20 PM

Did I mention how thin it is? or how light it is? or how low the c of G is?

Yeah you didn't come on here to talk it up?????

I never said any bike was problem free, I just stated why I personally would be afraid to buy a ktm because of my friends experience with them. Hopefully you have good luck with yours.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 30, 2005 - 01:41 PM

I'm here to say that one brand is above another :lol:

If we can't have fun in here while were not out riding what else would we do ?:banghead:

Congrats man! :applause:

• poffer

Posted September 30, 2005 - 02:24 PM

wr400 is a short stroke engine but wr450 aint???? bore/stroke on the 400 is 92.0 x 60.1mm and on 450 95,0 x 63,4mm..... The 450 revs a lot better than the 400. Must be something wrong with your wr450!

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 30, 2005 - 02:59 PM

wr400 is a short stroke engine but wr450 aint???? bore/stroke on the 400 is 92.0 x 60.1mm and on 450 95,0 x 63,4mm..... The 450 revs a lot better than the 400. Must be something wrong with your wr450!

I'll have to check those specs, not that I question you personally. It was explained to me that the 400 was an over square, the 426 was square, and the 450 was a stroker. I do know that the piston and all connecting hardware on the 450's was lightened to compensate or try and achieve a quicker rev. I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my 400 revs faster than my 450 :banghead:

You got me wondering now, I'm gonna check my manuals as soon as I get home :applause:

• Matty05

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:07 PM

I'll have to check those specs, not that I question you personally. It was explained to me that the 400 was an over square, the 426 was square, and the 450 was a stroker. I do know that the piston and all connecting hardware on the 450's was lightened to compensate or try and achieve a quicker rev. I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my 400 revs faster than my 450 :banghead:

fool!

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:11 PM

fool!

Tell me how it is Matty :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Youre right in one respect, the 450 is still an over square motor but the displacement was made up in both the bore and the stroke, in fact more so in the stroke.......... none the less the stroke on the 450 is 3.3 mm longer than that of the 400, over square or not that is going to equate to fewer RPM's throughout the range. Now, is this enough for me as a human to sense? I don't know but the 400 has a shorter stroke simply put :applause:

Come on Matty, I'm waiting :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:35 PM

The TTR 600 is not even a stroker. I don't think they have made a stroker yet?

Is your 450 stock? In stock form, mine was asleep.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:47 PM

It goes good, I have no complaints. I've got the essentially the same mods on both bikes except I am running a FMF Q on the 450 vs the WB E-series on the 400. The 400 has hit a little harder than any of my buddy's 426's and harder than the 450. It might be something to do with the set up but it does not matter I'm perfectly content with the 450:excuseme:

• BOLT Performance

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:49 PM

I didnt come on here to 'talk it up' , merely yo inform my friends of this forum of my new ride.
I still own 2 yamahas.
I'm not saying the ktm is going to be problem free.
ALL racing 4 strokes will have their share of problems, regardless of colour.
Anyone that thinks their brand is above the others is dreaming.

Ha Ha... Poor guy wants to say Hey I got a new toy and

SLAP - You bought the wrong brand...
SLAP - You bought the wrong model...
SLAP - maintainance sucks...

Remind me to share all my special moments with you guys... It's seems to be such an uplifting experience... Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.