XR650L hard to start when already warmed up...

14 replies to this topic
  • 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 29, 2005 - 12:28 PM

I fear shutting my bike off when I know I'll need to start it within a half hour, cause it normally won't start. If it does make it as far as turning over, I'll rev it in hopes of it not shutting off and a couple seconds later it dies as I'm reving it. :banghead:

I've played with the idle screw and that seems fine. Could it be my fuel screw is too far out? I'm running 55/158 .024", Twin-Air, no snorkel, about 2 1/4 turns out. Could it be a bad spark plug?

If I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes it starts.

Thanks guys.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 29, 2005 - 05:31 PM

check the plug first then come back......its probably just a fouled out plug.

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 29, 2005 - 08:19 PM

So a bike with a fouled spark plug can run just fine when it's going, but sometimes be impossible to start?

How would it be that it starts when I get it rolling, but hardly wants to start when I use the e-start?

Honest questions, I pretty clueless.

The guy at the shop said 4-strokes can be hard to start when they're warmed up sometimes, but this is rediculous...

I'm going to check that plug out right now, brown is good, white is lean, black is rich, right?

Thanks guys!

• LotsOfBikes

Posted September 29, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Your automatic decompression (it is integrated into the cam) may be sticky. It may be not allowing your exhaust valves to close all of the way when the engine is turning over. I've heard of it, but never experienced it firsthand. My 650L starts perfectly when hot. Closing in on 60,000 miles.

• Hayden

Posted September 29, 2005 - 09:23 PM

I had a CBR one time with 20,000 on it. It wouldnt start for crap and sometimes I had to jump it. Changed the plugs and it was back to normal. Started great after that.

Hayden

• XRL_Rider

Posted September 29, 2005 - 10:36 PM

Might be running way too lean. Give it a plug check Tan means that you are in the ballpark. White= lean Black =rich. What helped me out a bunch was going with a pumper carb. Good luck!

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 29, 2005 - 11:28 PM

Well, I must not have the right size spark plug socket because after an hour with two different sizes and feeling like I was actually doing something, the spark plug hasn't moved. And whose idea was it to put the spark plug in the most hard to get to place on the whole bike? Seriously....

Anybody know what size socket fits the spark plug?

I bought the bike used and it has another spark, which I'm sure fits, in the seat pouch. The socket I tried fit that one, but won't get the one that's in to come out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • one3three

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:01 AM

could your stator be gone????

• ghoti

Posted September 30, 2005 - 04:35 AM

Well, I must not have the right size spark plug socket because after an hour with two different sizes and feeling like I was actually doing something, the spark plug hasn't moved. And whose idea was it to put the spark plug in the most hard to get to place on the whole bike? Seriously....

Anybody know what size socket fits the spark plug?

I bought the bike used and it has another spark, which I'm sure fits, in the seat pouch. The socket I tried fit that one, but won't get the one that's in to come out.

You need a thin wall socket to get down in there. The one that come with the toolkit works great.

• XRKYLE

Posted September 30, 2005 - 06:22 AM

This happened to me also. After months in and out of the shop they found the problem. It was the pulse sending unit that went out. Now it starts every time.

• roadcam

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:13 AM

you may also have a tight valve, check your valve clearances

• oldturtle

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Hard starting is often related to incorrect pilot jet or incorrect enrichment screw setting. Hard starting cold may be due to too small of pilot or too lean screw setting while hard starting hot may be due to too large pilot or too rich screw setting. I think you should play with the enrichment screw setting and try and determine how many turns out will give you highest idle and then leave it there. If you are less the 1/2 turn out then try smaller pilot. If over 2 turns out then try larger pilot. If you cannot determine any difference in idle speed regardless of screw setting then you have the wrong pilot.
Another tip is do not turn idle adjustment down to the bare minimum when hot. Hot starting is always easier with idle turned up well above the minimum.

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:11 AM

I've played with the fuel screw, bike won't even roll start today. I'm missing class because of this stupid thing.

I also can't get the spark plug out, I don't have the tool kit that came with the bike.

• ghoti

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:56 AM

Sounds dumb but, make sure the run switch is on run. Make sure you don't open the throttle when you start it hot.

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 30, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Took the carb out, checked everything, ended up braking the fuel screw by over-tightening it, eventually got it out. That wasn't the problem. Turns out the spark plug cable had some sort of fray in it, when I moved it around and put pressure in random directions it started. I pulled the cap off and straightened out the wire inside.

So far so good, ah....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.