Is this bike with blown motor worth it?

18 replies to this topic
  • rebolc

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:12 AM

2001 YZ 426. Lots of power but needs rod and p iston. Paid $1500, will take $950 OBO. XXX-XXXX

This is a listing in my local classifieds. What do you all think? What will it cost me to have the engine rebuilt?

Assuming the rest of the bike is not totally destroyed, seems like it might be a good deal? :banghead:

• Pincushion

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:15 AM

if it only needs a rod and piston then I would jump all over it. If there's lower end damage then you could be looking at some big $$ ($1200-1500)to get it going again. Check the condition of the head as they are about $600 for a OEM assembly.

You can get the cylinder bored, re-nik'd, wiseco piston and gasket kit for $350 shipped from Lukes Racing. cheaper than going OEM.

• walent215

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:22 AM

hed take less im sure and i wouldnt hesitate even if it does need a bottom end bc once you rebuild it will last a long time.

• jeff_wsu

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Buy it, rebuild it, sell it for twice what you bought it for. Then buy a different bike with no history of engine problems :banghead:

• rebolc

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Buy it, rebuild it, sell it for twice what you bought it for. Then buy a different bike with no history of engine problems :banghead:

I like this option. I often get myself into these situations and then wish I had spent more money and gotten something nicer.

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:35 AM

Walk in there with cash, and after you explain to him how far up sh*t creek he and his bike really are, and how lucky he is that you, the only person who will ever be seriously interested in buying the bike, saw his ad at all, count out $700 (or whatever) in 20's and 50's. Put the 50's on top. The 20's will make a bigger pile of it, and the 50's on top will make it look better. Then make him the offer. Add more (keep the add-on money in a different pocket) if you want, but when you hit your limit, and he still wants more, just sigh and start picking the money back up. I'll bet he won't let you leave the driveway.

• rebolc

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:36 AM

if it only needs a rod and piston then I would jump all over it. If there's lower end damage then you could be looking at some big $$ ($1200-1500)to get it going again. Check the condition of the head as they are about $600 for a OEM assembly.

You can get the cylinder bored, re-nik'd, wiseco piston and gasket kit for $350 shipped from Lukes Racing. cheaper than going OEM.

Probably not an easy way to verify lower end damage, is there?

• Pincushion

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:51 AM

not exactly. turn the crank and shift through the gears listening for mystery noises, that's about all you can do without splitting the cases. Look at the clutch basket and see if the fingers are grooved badly and pull the oil filter and look for excessive shavings. If the motor's been abused then you'll likely see some signs.

If he seized the big end bearing then you're probably going to want to split the cases and check the main bearings and trans anyway. At least I would.

FYI.... if the rod is shot you're probably better off just buying a new crank. I was quoted $180 to replace the big end bearing and true my crank or I could've bought new from crothcrocket.com for about $250.

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2005 - 09:11 AM

What exactly happened to the rod that it needs replacing? If the rod has to be replaced, you'll be re-doing the crank, anyway. You say, "lots of power", is the bike running now?

How much any of it will cost will depend on what you do yourself. Complete cranks can be found for $150 or so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebolc

Posted September 29, 2005 - 10:46 AM

What exactly happened to the rod that it needs replacing? If the rod has to be replaced, you'll be re-doing the crank, anyway. You say, "lots of power", is the bike running now?

How much any of it will cost will depend on what you do yourself. Complete cranks can be found for $150 or so.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he means by "lots of power." I have not seen the bike or talked with him yet. I am going to give him a call tonight.

As for how much I will do myself? Probably not much on this one, although it would be the perfect project bike to learn some wrenching skills on.

• revolucien

Posted September 29, 2005 - 11:04 AM

There are 2 426's in NC going for 2500 or best offer on cycletrader.com and one even comes with boots and a helmet. If youre not doing the work yourself it might not be a good deal.

• rebolc

Posted September 29, 2005 - 11:09 AM

There are 2 426's in NC going for 2500 or best offer on cycletrader.com and one even comes with boots and a helmet. If youre not doing the work yourself it might not be a good deal.

That's kinda what I am wondering about. If I got if for 800 and put a thousand into it, that's still only $1800. On the other hand, if it's like all the other back woods bikes people are trying to sell around here, I should run and run fast.

My original plan was to buy a brand new KTM 525 exc. Then I saw this. I know they are not the same bikes but I have always owned Yamis and I have always loved good deals.

There is also a 2005 450 with 4 hours on it for $4500. I might have to jump on that one too!

These decisions are killing me :banghead:

• BullDZR

Posted September 29, 2005 - 12:45 PM

I am also in North Carolina and those 2 that are in cycle trader are gone. I called last week about them. Sorry. I went through ebay, got an 02 426 for 2700 and have to pay 500 for shipping, but he is including all the stuff I need which in turn evens out so I think I did well.

i would say, if you can get it for 500, buy it and learn to build it yourself. There is just something about being able to wrench on your own bike that gives you a sense of pride.

• Pincushion

Posted September 29, 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'm not a professional mechanic by any means and I was able to rebuild my YZ motor from the ground up. Split the cases, rebuilt the trans, replaced all bearings. The only thing I didnt do was bore the cylinder or recondition the head ($80 locally). If you have the gut instinct that you're capable of it then you are capable of it.

I say got for it. If it fails then part the bike out and recoup your cash and if it goes well you'll have a fresh YZ426 for half the cost. It's a win-win dude!
There's many people here with the experience and willingness to help.

Just hope it doesn't look like this when you get in there: http://photobucket.c...or damage pics/

Check the gears for booboo's: http://photobucket.c...nt=IMG_6432.jpg
and check the dogs for wear from lazy shifts too: http://img.photobuck...rs/IMG_6425.jpg

We're to help bub!

• revolucien

Posted September 29, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Yeah if you get it cheap enough and take the time to part it out through ebay and here you could probably make out well.

• BC61

Posted September 29, 2005 - 03:01 PM

I had my motor done earlier this year by Andrews Motorsports in Charlotte. Replaced just about everything but a crank half. New piston, rod, crank half, titanium valves, timing chain, valve job, porting etc. Cost $1800 to have it done right. If the rest of the bike is good it might be worth it. You know you will have a fresh engine instead of someones "never raced adult owned" clapped out piece.

• BC61

Posted September 29, 2005 - 06:05 PM

this might make the deal work for you, new create engine

• darksun27

Posted September 29, 2005 - 09:54 PM

I'm not a professional mechanic by any means and I was able to rebuild my YZ motor from the ground up. Split the cases, rebuilt the trans, replaced all bearings. The only thing I didnt do was bore the cylinder or recondition the head ($80 locally). If you have the gut instinct that you're capable of it then you are capable of it.

I say got for it. If it fails then part the bike out and recoup your cash and if it goes well you'll have a fresh YZ426 for half the cost. It's a win-win dude!
There's many people here with the experience and willingness to help.

Just hope it doesn't look like this when you get in there: http://photobucket.c...or damage pics/

Check the gears for booboo's: http://photobucket.c...nt=IMG_6432.jpg
and check the dogs for wear from lazy shifts too: http://img.photobuck...rs/IMG_6425.jpg

We're to help bub!

man your motor is more f***ed up than mine

• Pincushion

Posted September 30, 2005 - 06:11 AM

man your motor is more f***ed up than mine

LOL..... it was rather ****ed up, I agree! Runs like a raped ape now though :banghead:

Thats what happens when the oil pump goes AWOL due to this:
Posted Image

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.