Rekluse Install Gap

13 replies to this topic
  • jekylmtb1

Posted September 29, 2005 - 04:45 AM

Helped a friend install the Rekluse last night on an 03 YZ 450. Install gap was .029 which is less than .030 but more than the .028 gap that requires a plate change. Are we ok??

Did not have a chance to start and complete break-in, so if we need to(hope like hell we don't) we can tear back down and adjust.

Thanks

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted September 29, 2005 - 05:26 AM

I think you're too close to the minimum acceptable instlled gap on the plates.

Mine is installed with a gap in the upper range of the acceptable window. I chose to have this installed gap to have less wheel drag while at idle and in gear.

Dirty

• JohnB

Posted September 29, 2005 - 06:09 AM

After the break-in and first ride, recheck the gap. It might/will change. Mine did. Matter of fact, after the 3rd ride, I had to replace one of the plates to a thicker one. This brought the gap to the low side and I haven't had to adjust it in 30+ hrs.

All else fails, call Rekluse. They are very helpful on the phone.

• jekylmtb1

Posted September 29, 2005 - 06:39 AM

After break-in, if you start out in a high gear that makes the clutch slip some, will this widen gap?

• JohnB

Posted September 29, 2005 - 06:57 AM

The gap widens as plates wear. Starting in a high gear or riding in too high of a gear will wear the clutch plates more/quicker.

You could ride the bike in 5th gear all day long. But, it'll over heat and wear out the clutch.

• xr_man

Posted September 29, 2005 - 10:02 AM

does the rekluse clutch act as a "slipper" clutch on rapid down changes pls ???

• SBRacing

Posted September 29, 2005 - 12:53 PM

I put one in a friends bike too...It make crazy noises under load is that normal .makes barking noises ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jerryls

Posted September 29, 2005 - 08:43 PM

I put one in a friends bike too...It make crazy noises under load is that normal .makes barking noises ?

No, that's not normal. What sort of barking noises? Poodle? Great Dane?

Jerry

• jekylmtb1

Posted September 30, 2005 - 05:36 AM

UPDATE: Went through break-in procedure, everthing worked great. I've been riding and racing for 35 years and could never image not using a manual clutch.

Holy Sh*T, this thing rocks. I can't believe how this YZ450 hooks up. I gave the bike back to its owner and he could not believe how awesome this clutch works. IT IS DEFINITELY LIKE CHEATING. Made a believer out of me.

• SXP

Posted September 30, 2005 - 05:53 AM

No, that's not normal. What sort of barking noises? Poodle? Great Dane?

Jerry

:banghead: :applause: :lol:

• im_slo_on_my_sm

Posted September 30, 2005 - 05:57 AM

I love mine!!!

I've got it set up so that on idle it wants to go, rear brake is required on slippery surfaces otherwise it'll slip the wheel a little.

I prefer it this way so it picks up better on the gas! My mate had his set to the opposite so it slipped more but mine was quicker off the mark.

It does work as a slipper clutch to some extent. It removes the rear wheel chatter and means you dont have to feather the clutch which has gotta be good as there is less to do whilst racing supermoto.

I played with several install gaps till i got what i liked and basically ignored the install gap instructions. Try different plates and see which combination you like. Worst case scenario is a stall or no drive at all.

I'm gonna get the adjuster to use the manual clutch too then i can hoist the front wheel in higher gears if i choose.

I've got a YZF450 too. Can't ride it without its that good! :banghead:

• yz_for_me

Posted September 30, 2005 - 06:21 PM

You should not hear any abnormal noise. Barking noises are a problem.

• yz_for_me

Posted September 30, 2005 - 06:24 PM

Holy Sh*T, this thing rocks. I can't believe how this YZ450 hooks up. I gave the bike back to its owner and he could not believe how awesome this clutch works. IT IS DEFINITELY LIKE CHEATING. Made a believer out of me.

Right on! :banghead: For those who don't know it's hard to believe how great these things work.

• smokin529

Posted September 30, 2005 - 06:50 PM

I've had mine for six months now and any bike I get from now on will have a Rekluse put in it before I ride it. I had some weird problems with mine and experienced some of the best customer service ever. Top of the line product...top of the line service!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.