00 426 ?

9 replies to this topic
  • yamarider426

Posted September 28, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Whats up guys?
I have had my bike now for about 6 months and I absolutly love it :lol:
I followed your instructions on how to adjust valves and maintain it and enjoy working on on it. All of the problems people talk about starting puzzles me b/c mine starts on the first kick (cold) every time and first or second when hot.
I know my packing is gone in the stock exhaust (stock muffler and aftermarket header pipe) and it pops or backfires when I let out of the gas in the high RPM range. Today I put 2 strips of duct tape ( :banghead: yea duct tape I know :applause: ) over the air box and it cured it pretty much. Of coarse I run no air box lid. So I inturprate this as meaning I'm running lean and need to re-jet. I 'm thinking 1 size bigger main and smaller needle or bigger needle jet. ...Also I was tuning my fuel/piolet screw and the darn thing fell out somewere. I put a reg. screw in (until I can get another) and dosent idle perfect but seems to run fine (maby a little slower). Anyone got any ideas?

P.S If any one on this site has not done the bk mod they need to be shot. :lol:

• yamarider426

Posted October 03, 2005 - 10:44 AM

Anybody out there??????
HEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOO?

• grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2005 - 11:23 AM

First off, decel backfires are caused by either lean idle mixture, or an air leak in the exhaust, most commonly where the header joins the mid pipe or the cylinder head.

Get an extended fuel screw to replace yours, and be sure that you have one, but only one, spring, washer, and O-ring, in that order from bottom to top in the bore with the screw. Don't run the bike anymore until you get one.

And lose the duct tape. YZ's don't have or need an air box cover.

Now, why exactly should I do the BK mod?

• yamarider426

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:12 PM

Throttle response is greatly improved
of the bottom bog is illiminated if tuned properly
easy mod
:banghead:

• Pincushion

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:23 PM

I dont think the BK mod is needed for the 450's. Yamaha solved the bog issue with the AP diaphram by then.

Get an 2001 needle (OBEJP) for your carb and a tunable fuel screw like Grayracer mentioned. Fix any leaks and report back. If the problem still persists then start playing with the jetting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamarider426

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:36 PM

Excue me :banghead: !
Let me re-phrase
Any 426 owners on this site who have not done the BK mod.... :banghead:

I ordered the zip-ty piolet screw today and other parts from dealer also.
Thanks guys!

• grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Throttle response is greatly improved
of the bottom

In order for the throttle on my 450 to respond any better it would have to react to my thoughts. :banghead:

• ripntear

Posted October 03, 2005 - 04:25 PM

In order for the throttle on my 450 to respond any better it would have to react to my thoughts. :banghead:

You mean it doesn't already? Mine does....but I must stutter when I think!

• yamarider426

Posted October 04, 2005 - 05:34 AM

LMAO :banghead:

• yamarider426

Posted October 06, 2005 - 04:08 PM

Checked the pipe again (b/c it started rattling) and found where the pipe meets the cannister/muffler, there was a crack in the weld. Drilled the riviots and also found the baffle (metal mesh in center) broken in half! Had a friend weld ot all back up and re-pack it. Thanks Travis at Lester Performance! It runs great again. Still waiting on fuel screw though. Thanks for the help!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.