oil burning

10 replies to this topic
  • larrygrogan

Posted September 28, 2005 - 07:27 PM

I have a 04 yz 450. I change the oil about every 2 rides, when I change the oil, the oil is burnt. MY riding buddies say they can smell burnt oil when they are behind me, however my bike does not smoke. I suspected my clutch plates, so I replaced the friction plates,steel plates and springs. I rode last weekend and after one ride my oil is burnt again. I have been using bel-ray 20-50 semi synthetic, and I change my oil filter every 3 rides. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• azdragoon

Posted September 29, 2005 - 04:18 AM

Does the bike run hot? maybe check jetting, timing, or radiator obstructions.

• stvmoto

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:12 PM

my 05 yz450 does the same thing!My buddies tell me mine stinks also.furthermore I too have already replaced my plates & springs.My bike still smells!!Looks like we are in the same boat Larry.

• 642MX

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Does the bike actually use oil? Have you checked the oil level to verify. It could be your buddies are smelling the air coming out of the blowby tube.

• stvmoto

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:28 PM

My bike doesnt lose any oil.If it does it has to be very little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stvmoto

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:32 PM

Hey Larry my oil only smells burnt when my bike is hot.When I drain my oil it doesnt smell burnt?Go figure?How about you?

• 642MX

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:51 PM

My bike doesnt lose any oil.If it does it has to be very little.

Go start your bike, let it warm up, and then put you nose down by the left foot peg. I bet your just smelling the blow by out of the crankcase vent. Total normal, my 426 does this too.

• SBRacing

Posted December 01, 2005 - 05:53 PM

My buddys 03 stinks like burning oil too it started after we put in his auto clutch.....

• stvmoto

Posted December 01, 2005 - 06:16 PM

642MX believe it or not I have already done this several times.It's only when I'm really riding hard and the bike gets hot that I notice the smell.If i'm cruising around with my boy I dont notice the smell.

• 642MX

Posted December 01, 2005 - 06:27 PM

642MX believe it or not I have already done this several times.It's only when I'm really riding hard and the bike gets hot that I notice the smell.If i'm cruising around with my boy I dont notice the smell.

The harder you run the motor the more blow by they put out. Mine even drips oil on the bike stand after a hard ride. Its not hurting it, its normal, and they all do it. :applause:

• stvmoto

Posted December 01, 2005 - 06:38 PM

Yeah mine drips oil out of the crankcase breather tube too after a hard ride.I do know this is typical.Thanks for the info 642MX :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.