Crap rear brake on new 650r

7 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

Posted September 28, 2005 - 05:16 AM

My new 650r seems to have very weak brakes on the rear. The front are very good. On the road i have to nearly stand on the rears to lock them up not to mention the small pedal that i just manage to push with my big toe. Is this normal?

• TimBrp

Posted September 28, 2005 - 05:36 AM

I'd say try a bleed and if it still does it then, yes it's "normal". I put galfer steel braided lines on my xr and that helped. The rear still isn't the greatest. Try adjusting the pedal at the master, it might help. Rember also that you're trying to stop a 300lb. machine with you on it.

• Tber

Posted September 28, 2005 - 08:09 AM

I'd say try a bleed and if it still does it then, yes it's "normal". I put galfer steel braided lines on my xr and that helped. The rear still isn't the greatest. Try adjusting the pedal at the master, it might help. Rember also that you're trying to stop a 300lb. machine with you on it.

Hey Tim, My situation is just the opposite of Fordskin's. My back are stronger than my front. I think i'm going to bleed the front.

• Supplicate

Posted September 28, 2005 - 08:23 AM

I had similar issue with mine when it was new, both were too soft IMO. I put Galfer steel braided front and rear and that made them 200% better :banghead:

Front is still lacking though, and if you still want more front braking bower I would suggest an oversized rotor kit. I do believe its EBC that makes them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tber

Posted September 28, 2005 - 12:02 PM

I had similar issue with mine when it was new, both were too soft IMO. I put Galfer steel braided front and rear and that made them 200% better :banghead:

Front is still lacking though, and if you still want more front braking bower I would suggest an oversized rotor kit. I do believe its EBC that makes them.

On rockymountainmc.com they sell a 280mm disc and a relocator bracket for around 120. I am seriously thinking about it.

• DualSport650

Posted September 28, 2005 - 01:21 PM

I have the oversized EBC brake rotor up front.

It ROCKS! One figure braking is no problem now.

Posted Image

• J_Daniels

Posted September 28, 2005 - 04:13 PM

IMHO, the factory pads suck. For something as inexpensive as a set of pads, it is worth a try. Bleed the system first by all means, but my factory rear pads were garbage compared to the EBC sintered ones.

• TimBrp

Posted September 29, 2005 - 02:47 AM

Some pads I recently tried work great. They are actually Gas Gas brand pads. I've got 300 miles on them and virtually no where on the rears! They grab like snot and wear like iron. They're only 24.95 to boot!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.