Transalp?

3 replies to this topic
  • Thumpmeister

Posted September 28, 2005 - 01:05 AM

My dad just bought a 90 Transalp (I think its the 90; its the rare red one), and he's looking where to get some info on these things. I dunno if anyone in here would have any kind of info on these, or where I can find info. Also, hes looking for a shop manual and/or specs for these things. I've checked a few places online like transalp.org, but couldn't find much. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• TREADMARKS

Posted September 28, 2005 - 03:43 AM

My dad just bought a 90 Transalp (I think its the 90; its the rare red one), and he's looking where to get some info on these things. I dunno if anyone in here would have any kind of info on these, or where I can find info. Also, hes looking for a shop manual and/or specs for these things. I've checked a few places online like transalp.org, but couldn't find much. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Try these:

http://www.xrv.org.uk/

http://www.studiomatic.net/tatest/

http://www.f-ms.de/ta/faq/

http://home.clara.ne...ls/transalp.htm

Good luck. :banghead:

Show us some pics! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldturtle

Posted September 28, 2005 - 02:24 PM

I also owned a Transalp for a couple years. The V-twin motor was fantastic. Front single disc was very weak for bike this heavy. Rear drum was worthless after getting used to other bikes with rear disc. Biggest problem for me was the tubed tires and no centerstand. The bike is too heavy to ever get the front end up in the air to remove and repair a front flat while out in the boonies. If you are alone your only option is to lay the bike on its side for front tire R&R. This will just about total out the bike due to damage to tank. Rear tire can be elevated with simple rod. I carried piece of plastic pipe with bolt that fit into hole on right side of swing arm. Pull bike over onto sidestand and insert rod with bolt and rear is up in air for chain lube or rear tire work. The Transalp is great bike except for above items. Honda marketed this bike as a dual sport bike and that was the problem. They should have advertised it as a light weight adventure tourer. I could not locate a centerstand. I would highly rec'm checking everywhere including Europe for some source for centerstand. Then come up with some light weight system for supporting front of motor which will hold front tire up in air. Just carry a 21" tube and you are good to repair either front 21 or rear 17. I found a Euro spec Honda Varadero, 1000 V-twin and tubless tires, as replacement for my Transalp. You will have very hard time keeping your father in sight on the pavement with any 600/650 thumper.

• Thumpmeister

Posted September 28, 2005 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, he's had a v-strom, R 80 g/s p/d, yami tdm 850... And he really likes the transalp just cause its a Honda. The v-strom was pretty nice, but wasn't as much dirt oriented as the transalp is. We've been reading a lot of those euro bike magazenes because they have a lot more of that kind of riding, and its really interesting to read. The brits leave nothing out and are brutally honest when it comes to giving their opinion on these bikes.
I'm not going to be heading home till Thanksgiving, most likely. But when I do, I'll get some pics and post em.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.